S-Class Bisley sept 28th

Sporting-Class. Everything you want to know about this new discipline including course of fire, competitions, rifles, regulations and how to get involved.

Moderator: dromia

AlieN
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Bisley

Re: S-Class Bisley sept 28th

#21 Post by AlieN »

Thanks. The trigger is as it comes from the factory. In "set mode" it is pretty light (not sure quite how light), but I've no reason to believe that it is not safe.

AlieN
oaken
Home club or Range: Nra & Wessex Rifles

#22 Post by oaken »

To answer a few points that have been raised.

Everyone is welcome. More people just mean booking more lanes but I need confirmation that you intend to shoot so I can get the booking right!

If you don't have NRA membership or a Safe Shooter Certificate, the guest day status of the club booking will enable you to shoot provided you let us know your full name and address by 20th September and are accompanied 1:1 on the firing point by a club member.

By all means build a rifle specifically for S-class but it won't give you the massive "arms race" gains that a custom "F" build would over a "standard" rifle for those "F"disciplines.
The S-class restrictions should put the emphasis squarely on shooter skill. I'm thinking I should be able to hold my own with my old Tikka against any custom rifle that falls within the class or even a Blaser ;-) Lol.

There are no prizes so seriously driven competitive types that choose to invest pots of gold in gear to gain any possible advantage in collecting trophies should look elsewhere. The winner should not be expecting anything more than a pat on the back and respect from the other competitors.

There are three reasons for keeping the round count down.....
From my point of view, getting people through the firing point quickly. From the shooters, the cost of bullets and barrel wear and lastly, accuracy going off with a hot skinny barrel.

True, 600yds is way beyond normal stalking distances but it is good practice nonetheless and having a good understanding of your drops and reading the wind, has to be a good thing, hence your only sighters are merely to confirm that your on target at the nearest distance.

If your rifle doesn't quite meet the S-class requirements you are still welcome to shoot but your score won't be eligible.

Bisley has a restriction on bullet energy (HME) and speed is restricted to 3280fps. The following graph will help you establish if you are over.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk20 ... 02477C.png
Other rules and regs can be found here.
http://www.nra.org.uk/common/files/rang ... ations.pdf

Currently, 25 have said they will be there with the number creeping up by one or two every day! Promises to be a good day out :-)
oaken

#23 Post by oaken »

ATTENTION please.
I have just checked the range booking details, fortunately, as they had us down for 28th August!!!
The corrected booking, 28th September, is fine for the morning but the 900yd lane in the afternoon has been changed to 1000yds as that is all that is available on Stickledown. (The longest range at the Bisley complex)
I decided on 900 for this shoot as most rifle/scope combinations can just about handle this distance, however, at 1000yds most rounds are going transonic and dropping like a stone with most field type scopes having insufficient elevation adjustment.
You may decide that you don't want to shoot at 1000yds, in which case, please let me know.
However, I will be using my old (slightly sorted) .223 .......it is possible, just a lot more challenging!
We may have to use a bit of teamwork to spot fall of shot for those unfamiliar with long range, but that may make for a more memorable experience ;-).
oaken

#24 Post by oaken »

After discussion with NRA and my clubs officials, it would seem that we would be breaking the law to allow non NRA members who do not personally know me or a current member of Wessex Rifles, to shoot at Bisley under the club guest day status.
I apologise to everyone that this affects, especially as it's at such short notice. I certainly didn't see this coming and the matter only got discussed in passing after enquiring about the use of expanding ammunition.
So, if you don't have NRA membership and do not know a Wessex Rifles member, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SHOOT!
There is possibly a way around this for future shoots but we are unable to sort it at this short notice.
Again, my apologies.

Expanding ammunition can be used at Bisley if it is listed on your firearms certificate conditions for zeroing but if you don't have target condition, you cannot use it for competition, but nothing to stop you from zeroing and practice!!!
The S class format provides an ideal opportunity for zeroing and practice as every shot is marked :-)
For the NRA guidelines on restricted bullet types and speed/energy limits at Bisley, see section 2
http://www.nra.org.uk/common/files/rang ... ations.pdf
No restrictions on expanding ammunition are listed. Please ensure that you comply with the energy and speed restrictions.

I will put up more information about times and where to meet/park over the weekend.
tisme

#25 Post by tisme »

Do you have to be a member of the NRA or is it ok to be a member of an NRA associated club with a shooters cert?
Ta
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#26 Post by M99 »

tisme wrote:Do you have to be a member of the NRA or is it ok to be a member of an NRA associated club with a shooters cert?
Ta
You will be ok as you know Oaken!

See you next Sunday.

Mike
tisme

#27 Post by tisme »

MiLisCer wrote:
tisme wrote:Do you have to be a member of the NRA or is it ok to be a member of an NRA associated club with a shooters cert?
Ta

See you next Sunday.

Mike
Looking forward to shooting with you Mike only this time I'm not going to be one place behind you like the RRC. Can Gordon also join us please.

Pete
User702
Home club or Range: BRPC

#28 Post by User702 »

Can I re-ask the same question?? I have a current shooter cert with an NRA affiliated club, but am not a member of the NRA itself.
c18rch
Home club or Range: New Forest

#29 Post by c18rch »

As I understand it from my brief chat with Rup, you either have to be an NRA member or a member of Wessex. The only other way you can attend is if you are a guest of a Wessex member. To qualify as a guest you have to actually know the person who you are a guest of.

I'm sure Rup will clarify if I've got it wrong.
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#30 Post by M99 »

tisme wrote:
MiLisCer wrote:
Ta

See you next Sunday.

Mike
Looking forward to shooting with you Mike only this time I'm not going to be one place behind you like the RRC. Can Gordon also join us please.

Pete
Pete,

I had planned on shooting my 6.5/55 but have decided in the spirit of S class to shoot light weight sporter in 308, with a fixed power 8x scope, of course I'll still use my proven load from the RRC in it though. Will still bring the 6.5/55 to shoot 1k in the afternoon.

Looking forward to it.

Mike