S-Class at Bisley?

Sporting-Class. Everything you want to know about this new discipline including course of fire, competitions, rifles, regulations and how to get involved.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: S-Class at Bisley?

#11 Post by dromia »

Try reading the sticky and posts in this forum, it is all about S class, as it says in the titles.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
oaken
Home club or Range: Nra & Wessex Rifles

#12 Post by oaken »

Sandgroper. Herding cats! I like that :-) I'll be in touch.
I am aware of the difficulties involved in pinning people down, I used to run the Mendip Quarry challenge on a very tight budget, in fact I used to say money up front or no ticket or I would end up paying for it myself. I used to reckon it was like getting eels in basket! Though to be fair, most were as helpful as possible.
Seriously though. I do need at least 8 to make the exercise worthwhile. I will chase around some of the local clubs and spread the word on various chat groups. And of course you lot that used to do the MQC will be looking for something challenging to do ;-), I see there's quite a few of you on here.
Provisionally looking at Sunday 28th September. Once a few things are confirmed I will start a new thread with more information.

DaveT. Most will think this a strait forward question but do you own a centerfire rifle that weighs less than 6kg? ;-p
Swamp Donkey
Home club or Range: Wessex Rifles

#13 Post by Swamp Donkey »

oaken wrote:Sandgroper. Herding cats! I like that :-) I'll be in touch.
I am aware of the difficulties involved in pinning people down, I used to run the Mendip Quarry challenge on a very tight budget, in fact I used to say money up front or no ticket or I would end up paying for it myself. I used to reckon it was like getting eels in basket! Though to be fair, most were as helpful as possible.
Seriously though. I do need at least 8 to make the exercise worthwhile. I will chase around some of the local clubs and spread the word on various chat groups. And of course you lot that used to do the MQC will be looking for something challenging to do ;-), I see there's quite a few of you on here.
Provisionally looking at Sunday 28th September. Once a few things are confirmed I will start a new thread with more information.

DaveT. Most will think this a strait forward question but do you own a centerfire rifle that weighs less than 6kg? ;-p
Ha ha ha. Dave T with something smaller than what's fitted to a challenger II ? Getaway !!! ;)
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

In a nutshell the class is for rifles of:

Max 26" barrel
Max 6Kgs weight
Max 12X 'scope
Harris type bipod or sling
No rear bag
Deer legal in the country it is shot

Other than that anything within reason goes as long as it is range legal and if your 'scope is 24X variable just turn it down to 12X
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DaveT

#15 Post by DaveT »

Leg pulling aside I confess that I am struggling to get under the weight limit and the mag power constraint........Hmmmmm....I do have a 22LR that might qualify!!!

Oops ...just seen the deer legal bit.

I think my 260 stalker might work ....will weigh it.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#16 Post by mag41uk »

If this takes off at Bisley I will try and get some folk interested.
My AE3 is well over the weight limit unfortunately.
However, and don't laugh!, I am thinking of getting a MARS58 in 6.5 Grendel which should fit the bill.
The Grendel round appears to be good mid to long range.
Tony
oaken
Home club or Range: Nra & Wessex Rifles

#17 Post by oaken »

Dave. .260 should be ideal if light enough.

Tony. Great stuff, spread the word :-)

Once I have established that we can shoot 3 distances under one morning booking I'll get on and start publicising it.
Sandgroper

#18 Post by Sandgroper »

As organiser, there's nothing to stop you from relaxing the rules in order to get more people shooting the format...
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

A .260 stalking rifle would be ideal and is exactly what the class is designed for.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#20 Post by DW58 »

Sandgroper wrote:As organiser, there's nothing to stop you from relaxing the rules in order to get more people shooting the format...
If that's the case ... ... ... it might be worth remembering that many stalkers don't use bipods and prefer a rest. I have shot somewhere in the region of 7-800 deer and have never used the bipod that you insist upon in your S-class rules which therefore prevented me from being awarded the third-place score that I achieved at the recent Strathpeffer shoot.

Historically, bipods have only been in common use by UK stalkers since the late 80s at the earliest, and some people - myself included - don't want to mark expensive custom stocks by adding a sling stud in order to fit a bipod solely to shoot in S-class competitions.

Purely my opinion, but rather than insisting upon a bipod why not change the rules so that equipment normally used in stalking may be used. Traditionally that has been the case in stalker's competitions - of which I have entered many and won quite a few.

Too many rules can discourage people.
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31