No Shooting SHED at the Imperial 2014

'Something shiny from the SHED' - A range of shooting and reloading accessories designed and built here in the UK.
Ovenpaa

No Shooting SHED at the Imperial 2014

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

It is with huge disappointment that I must announce we will not be attending the Phoenix as a trade stand this year.

We tried on many occasions to make contact with the NRA regarding trade bookings, left messages by 'phone and emailed. We even contacted Andrew Mercer directly (Who did call back) yet a reply was not forthcoming. I even contacted some of the other RFD's who usually attend to see if it was just us who were having problems booking and they confirmed they could also not get an answer. Then yesterday we received an email with the booking form and a revised pricing structure.

Now I am all for seeing the NRA make a profit however we equally have financial constraints of our own. For me the Imperial was not about us making money, it was a place to spend a relaxed 4-5 days putting faces to names, dropping off existing orders meeting up with SHED friends and generally enjoying ourselves during the largest meeting of the year. So to be greeted with a price rise of in excess of 5 times what we paid last year plus additional restrictions put in place simply means we will not attend.

I am not sure what I am more disappointed in, the absolute lack of communication until under a month before the event or the excessive price increase. I have spent yesterday afternoon and again this afternoon trying to arrive upon a resolution that would work for us and it simply will not happen. I have also been told at least one other exhibitor will be boycotting the event because of the price increase and restrictions and I do wonder how many more will follow suit.

So there you have it, no SHED at the Imperial. Sorry about that, there is so much more I could say on this matter however now is not the time. There is of course an upside to this, it means I can build more shiny things and work on more projects and if you do feel the urge to meet the SHED in person you are more than welcome to pop over to sunny Bedfordshire.

The coffee is good as well tongueout
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: No Shooting SHED at the Imperial 2014

#2 Post by saddler »

IF the HBSA are doing there usual trade tent, it may be worth checking to see what space they have available...
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sadller, we did talk about trying to double up with someone however I am not sure that would be workable, I would be interested to know if they are attending given the price increase we have just seen.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#4 Post by saddler »

The HBSA have a marquee set up over one weekend of the Imperial - so have several RFD's & assorted dealers in attendance
Christel
Site Admin

#5 Post by Christel »

If other sellers will support the price increase then I hope they have a good Imperial.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#6 Post by dodgyrog »

Adam and I gave up on Bisley last year because of the expense of it all. The shooters are the ones who lose out.
I guess the NRA have not heard of the Law of Diminishing Returns!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
The Gun Pimp

#7 Post by The Gun Pimp »

It's the same with the British Shooting Show. Many of the small exhibitors like yourself and the one-man gunsmiths are providing entertainment rather than making a vast profit. The organisers must be thick if they can't see the difference.
Dougan

#8 Post by Dougan »

Well that's a shame :bad:

What I don't understand is that it's not like there's a limited number of stands/places - Surely the more the merrier...the better the attraction (which needs small traders and innovators) the more people will want to come...everyone wins...no?
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Dougan, the new pricing structure is something the NRA have obviously thought long and hard about and feel is fair. I know they are looking to portray a new image so I can only assume small independents like ourselves are not on their radar.

Not sure it would be right to say much more on the matter, this was intended as an information post only.
/d

Shed Journal
Dougan

#10 Post by Dougan »

I understand that you can't say more...

...but as an NRA member with no axe to grind I can - I actually appreciate the way the new NRA leadership is trying to be more professional in their business practices...but they've got to be very careful not to lose the character and values of Bisley and the meetings held there.....we don't want to end up with a 'The Midway Show' instead of a proper trade fair.