Poll - Are you a member of the NRA?

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!

Are you an NRA affiliated or direct club member?

Member of an NRA affiliated club
38%
Direct NRA member
27%
RCO
15%
Club Instructor
6%
Wind Coach
1%
Other NRA recognised qualification
2%
Not an NRA member
11%

Total votes: 209

dta europe

Re: Poll - Are you a member of the NRA?

#11 Post by dta europe »

+100 John

On another note the percentage results on the poll are misleading, they are a percentage of all the results checked not the number of individuals who have submitted a vote.

Ewen
dave_303

#12 Post by dave_303 »

Not a direct member, but was a member of an affiliated club till recently, will be moving to another one in the coming months once I return from university.

I've considered it for years, but as it stands I cannot justify the cost as travelling to Bisley on a semi-regular basis was not possible.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

John MH wrote:
I disagree, it actually does give you the right and if you can construct a reasonable and coherent argument they do actually listen. It also allows you to stand for election on the Council.

I think that is far too sweeping a statement and generalisation to have any meaning, I know of numerous cogent and reasonable ideas made to the organisation which have never been listened to, I am also sure that some will have been listened to and acted upon. It really depends if the idea fits with the people in power at the time.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
karen

#14 Post by karen »

A lot of ideas in the past have failed because of lack of staff time and/or lack of money. Doesn't mean they weren't taken seriously or won't work now.

If you have a good idea publicise it and get all your friends to suggest it too!

s*** now I will be in trouble for suggesting that ;)

Love

Karen
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Sandgroper »

First and last poll options for me.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Matt
Home club or Range: Bisley

#16 Post by Matt »

3x NRA affiliated clubs
NRA member
RCO plus HME

tongueout
Dougan

#17 Post by Dougan »

2 affiliated clubs, and an individual member.
Dougan

#18 Post by Dougan »

Charlotte the flyer wrote: They have the power to speak on my behalf in government circles (SLR ban etc) yet I disagree with what they stand for. They don't represent the type of shooting that I do at all, even less the sort that I want to do because they helped to ban it.
The NRA will help their members legally but not politically - It is not their responsibility to speak for every shooter in the UK, only their members (which I'm happy with), so you can't blame the NRA for the SLR ban.

What type of shooting do you do?...unless you only rough-shoot, I can't think of a type of shooting that isn't done at Bisley.

The NRA 'stand for' promoting target shooting...why would you disagree with that?
Dougan

#19 Post by Dougan »

John MH wrote:Only membership that really counts is 'Direct', that's the only one that give you a vote. It also IMHO gives you the right to challenge what the NRA are doing and the right to complain if you are not happy with some aspect of the Service they should provide to its members. If you are not a 'Direct' member (that should realy be 'Individual' member) the you really don't have anything to complain about as you are not directly supporting what they do.
I think that if you shoot at Bisley with an affiliated club you have a right to comment on the facilities...

...I've done some complaining in the past, but the toilet and accommodation situation have definitely improved recently, and I eagerly await the road repairs this year...
Chapuis

#20 Post by Chapuis »

Dougan wrote:
Charlotte the flyer wrote: They have the power to speak on my behalf in government circles (SLR ban etc) yet I disagree with what they stand for. They don't represent the type of shooting that I do at all, even less the sort that I want to do because they helped to ban it.
The NRA will help their members legally but not politically - It is not their responsibility to speak for every shooter in the UK, only their members (which I'm happy with), so you can't blame the NRA for the SLR ban.

What type of shooting do you do?...unless you only rough-shoot, I can't think of a type of shooting that isn't done at Bisley.

The NRA 'stand for' promoting target shooting...why would you disagree with that?
Of course you can blame them for the SLR ban or at least their lack of support. I can't remember the exact words used but it was something like - they could see no useful purpose for a semi-automatic rifle in target shooting.
The NRA have made some absolutely dreadful decisions in the past but hopefully things have changed in recent years, hopefully.