Pistols: would you give up home storage to get them back?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Would you have pistols back if you could only store them at your club?

Yes
22%
No
71%
Not sure
7%

Total votes: 105

IsleShoot

Re: Pistols: would you give up home storage to get them back

#72 Post by IsleShoot »

The firearms-UK campaign can only be a good thing for shooting as it raises awareness of a much maligned sport.

I've signed the epetition and I've even got other non-shooters to sign and in doing so got a few of them thinking seriously about going out and getting FAC's and SGC's. The lack of knowledge amoungst the general public about the availability of the sport is staggering so if the Unity campaign does nothing more than introduce a few good souls into the sport then it's been a success. If it re-starts the debate on pistols at a political level then it will have achieved more than any other single initiative in 17yrs.

I have contacted my MP (a conservative in a 'safe' seat) and asked him to support the epetition, he declined because he doesn't sign epetitions or early morning motions but he publically (on twitter) confirmed that he believes that ''guns are no more dangerous than cars but we don't ban them'' and that he would "support a change in the law to return pistols."

I've spent the last 17yrs listening to firing point barristers telling everyone who'll listen what a waste of time it is trying to get pistols back but I've never listened to them and nor should anybody else.

Positive action needs positive people and if you want to decry every effort made in the advance of our sport then you are in essence not a sportsman.

"I give up" Said no successful sportsman ever...
John MH

#73 Post by John MH »

I would suggest that accusing people of not wholeheartedly supporting this initiative as being unsporting is a little narrow minded. There are many ways of supporting and promoting shooting and focussing on .22lr pistols is not the only way.
Blu

#74 Post by Blu »

Signatures on paper cannot be submitted has part of the existing petition, more red tape, we looked in to it. However members of shoots can sign the e-petition, and we well try to take steps to make this as easy as possible; such as encouraging clubs to establish 'signing periods' with laptops present.
Okay, if it was down to me (yeah I know it's not) I'd bin the on-line petition and go paper. From what I'm reading, even if you were to collect 100,000 e-signatures parliament doesn't even have to look at it let alone debate it. I also think that by going paper as more signatures are gathered there is the possibility for more publicity and as John MH says, there is also the publicity of handing it in to Downing Street )once Gaz our tame journo has tipped off the press about when it's going to happen).

It would take a lot of work and commitment but I believe it's doable and would/could be more high profile than an e-petition. Just some food for thought, it's your ball and your game over there.

Blu :twisted:
John MH

#75 Post by John MH »

IsleShoot wrote: I have contacted my MP (a conservative in a 'safe' seat) and asked him to support the epetition, he declined because he doesn't sign epetitions or early morning motions but he publically (on twitter) confirmed that he believes that ''guns are no more dangerous than cars but we don't ban them'' and that he would "support a change in the law to return pistols."

wtfwtf

Well there you go, what more proof do you need of what the politicians actually think, "yes, I hear what you say and support your intentions but I'm not going on the record by signing your petition"
IsleShoot

#76 Post by IsleShoot »

Not sure how much you know about campaigning at Westminster but very few of the 650 MP's take up early morning motions and none to my knowledge sign epetitions. Why would they they can just start a private members bill if they need to.

As Erika has said time and again the epetition is one part of a wider campaign and the biggest challenge is uniting the shooting community for the greater good.

Be part of it, don't work against it.

I doubt your dicipline which I believe is civilian rifle will ever be a risk as you have the NRA and now Firearms-UK. Just help me get my discipline back to these shores, sign the epetition and spread the word.
Dougan

#77 Post by Dougan »

If it were the only way, then I'd keep a pistol at my club - But as others have said, that raises a load of inconveniences with cleaning and maintaining etc, and possible issues with security.

I've been watching this thread and others about pistol petitions, and although it may not be a popular opinion I don't think anyone should be able to own any pistol for any reason in the UK...as in, someone should have to demonstrate a good reason (i.e. at least practicing and/or competing in a club environment) to have one.

However I can't see any reason at all not to sign the petition for .22 target pistols...it's just ridiculous that people can't take part in an Olympic event because of the law...and I don't see why we couldn't get support for this particular issue from some non-shooters...
John MH

#78 Post by John MH »

Get your MP to put forward a motion then.

I shoot many disciplines, I support lots of matches and clubs, I have introduce many young people to the sport of shooting and taken young shooters abroad to shoot in international competition. I even shoot pistols legally in the UK.

I'm not against this campaign and have not encouraged anyone not to support it, I'm just stating my view that this is not the most effective way of addressing the issue you wish the politicians to act on. It is my opinion that e.petitions of this type go nowhere in influencing political debate and action. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, you have yours and I have mine.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#79 Post by Alpha1 »

I am not the slightest bit interested in owning any kind of handgun been there done it wore the Tee shirt and definitely not if I had to keep it in secure storage at a club.
If people want to sign this petition great. I don't mind signing it. But its been done before and nothing will come of it I am afraid.
I don't understand why any body would have a desperate need to own a hand gun in any calibre any way.
But as to the petition thing I applaud you for trying and good luck.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#80 Post by froggy »

don't understand why any body would have a desperate need to own a hand gun in any calibre any way

Euuh ...

For the same reason we own rifles ? to shoot it maybe ??
O:-)
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/