Pistols: would you give up home storage to get them back?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Would you have pistols back if you could only store them at your club?

Yes
22%
No
71%
Not sure
7%

Total votes: 105

John MH

Re: Pistols: would you give up home storage to get them back

#61 Post by John MH »

As I said, good luck with your quest. What you really need to do is encourage people to write to their MP or attend one of their MP surgeries to present their case; a click has no real impact particularly on this subject. Despite your 'well' researched words and content, your petition it's just another petition and when viewed by the politicians it's the same old, same old.

Writing to MPs, demanding their time in 'your' constituency and making them here your views in their offices and putting a face to those views and wants is the only real way forward.

Invite them to a shoot, educate them about what shooting sports is all about, look at the smile on their faces when they get a bull; that's the only real way to change their views. Organise a charity event and get them to come along, they all like free publicity. I might even invite one to the RBL Match I'm organising, this sort of thing has far more lasting impact.
Blu

#62 Post by Blu »

a click has no real impact particularly on this subject.
I respectfully disagree, 750,000 clicks went a long way to getting your pistols and semi auto full bore rifles banned in the first place.

Blu :twisted:
Erika

#63 Post by Erika »

John MH wrote:As I said, good luck with your quest. What you really need to do is encourage people to write to their MP or attend one of their MP surgeries to present their case; a click has no real impact particularly on this subject. Despite your 'well' researched words and content, your petition it's just another petition and when viewed by the politicians it's the same old, same old.

Writing to MPs, demanding their time in 'your' constituency and making them here your views in their offices and putting a face to those views and wants is the only real way forward.

Invite them to a shoot, educate them about what shooting sports is all about, look at the smile on their faces when they get a bull; that's the only real way to change their views. Organise a charity event and get them to come along, they all like free publicity. I might even invite one to the RBL Match I'm organising, this sort of thing has far more lasting impact.
I appreciate the feedback and will pass that on to the team, however I disagree with the view regarding petitions. Any petition achieving similar poor levels of support is likely to be dismissed, a petition reaching 100k signatures, imo will be noticed.
Erika
Chair & Treasurer
http://firearmsuk.org/
John MH

#64 Post by John MH »

Blu wrote:
I respectfully disagree, 750,000 clicks went a long way to getting your pistols and semi auto full bore rifles banned in the first place.

They weren't clicks, they were signatures gathered after a particularly horrendous act of multiple homicide in a frenzy of emotive media driven misinformation, people with no real knowledge or view signed out of respect for the bereaved. This does not, unfortunately, have the same impact.
Last edited by John MH on Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John MH

#65 Post by John MH »

Erika wrote:
John MH wrote:As I said, good luck with your quest. What you really need to do is encourage people to write to their MP or attend one of their MP surgeries to present their case; a click has no real impact particularly on this subject. Despite your 'well' researched words and content, your petition it's just another petition and when viewed by the politicians it's the same old, same old.

I appreciate the feedback and will pass that on to the team, however I disagree with the view regarding petitions. Any petition achieving similar poor levels of support is likely to be dismissed, a petition reaching 100k signatures, imo will be noticed.
Everyone is entitled to their view.
Blu

#66 Post by Blu »

John MH wrote:
Blu wrote:

They weren't clicks, they were signatures gathered after a particularly horrendous act of multiple homicide in a frenzy for emotive media driven misinformation, people with no real knowledge or view signed out of respect for the bereaved. This does not, unfortunately, have the same impact.
Fair enough, I stand corrected. Does an online petition in the UK not legally have the same weight as collecting signatures which the government has to act on if a certain number of online signatures are collected?

BTW I do agree with what you say about getting more people involved in shooting and on face to face meetings with MP's as well as writing to them and emailing them, lots.

Chuck

#67 Post by Chuck »

petitions are ok as long as they "have enough time" to look at them. pro shooting ones do not fall into that category, petitions can be ignored, we have seen it before in other matters. Gordon Brown admitted he did not care about petitions.! Then again he is a wally!
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Blu

#68 Post by Blu »

Chuck wrote:petitions are ok as long as they "have enough time" to look at them. pro shooting ones do not fall into that category, petitions can be ignored, we have seen it before in other matters. Gordon Brown admitted he did not care about petitions.! Then again he is a wally!
Okay so how about collecting signatures in tandem with the petition. Collect signatures from club members around the country at the clubs, collect signatures at the big shoots at Bisley and at shot/gunshows. More that's done the better the chance of getting attention.

Erika

#69 Post by Erika »

Blu wrote:
Chuck wrote:petitions are ok as long as they "have enough time" to look at them. pro shooting ones do not fall into that category, petitions can be ignored, we have seen it before in other matters. Gordon Brown admitted he did not care about petitions.! Then again he is a wally!
Okay so how about collecting signatures in tandem with the petition. Collect signatures from club members around the country at the clubs, collect signatures at the big shoots at Bisley and at shot/gunshows. More that's done the better the chance of getting attention.

Signatures on paper cannot be submitted has part of the existing petition, more red tape, we looked in to it. However members of shoots can sign the e-petition, and we well try to take steps to make this as easy as possible; such as encouraging clubs to establish 'signing periods' with laptops present.
Erika
Chair & Treasurer
http://firearmsuk.org/
John MH

#70 Post by John MH »

So you miss the photo opportunity and publicity of delivering boxes of signatures to Downing Street?