Pistols: would you give up home storage to get them back?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Would you have pistols back if you could only store them at your club?

Yes
22%
No
71%
Not sure
7%

Total votes: 105

Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

Pistols: would you give up home storage to get them back?

#1 Post by Gaz »

I've split this off to avoid hijacking the New Petition thread.

I think the wording of the new "legalise pistols" petition could allow the police to impose a (potentially very expensive) new licensing scheme for pistol clubs and pistol storage locations, over and above the existing firearms licensing system. Also, the petition as worded would prohibit storage of pistols at home. See my thinking on the original thread for why.

Is it worth giving up home storage and instead paying for extra licences on top of our FACs if we get .22 pistols back?

I'm not saying this to have a pop at Firearms UK, the guys who came up with the petition, btw. I think they've done a very good thing here, and I think we could probably overcome what's basically a technical slip in the wording if this breaks the 100,000 signatures barrier. The question does interest me, though.
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Pistols: would you give up home storage to get them back

#2 Post by saddler »

NO

More prone to theft if centrally stored
My club has ZERO storage possibilities

A BETTER option would be on the same basis as the use of pistols by some deer stalkers/hunters for Humane Despatch. THEY have their FAC's condition in such a way that they hold on said FAC an otherwise S.5 item.
Why not expand such S.5 exemption clauses to include certain types of .22 pistol for supervised target shooting?

It'd be a lot less admin. & parliamentary bun throwing/point scoring/meedja frenzy
tackb

#3 Post by tackb »

so I could have pistols but couldn't keep them in the same safe as my fullbore rifles ? yeah makes perfect sense!
techguy

#4 Post by techguy »

Nope. I like to tinker. Part of the enjoyment for me is the physical ownership of the item, I even enjoy cleaning my firearms!
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by bnz41 »

No storage at our club +1 with saddler on the theft point.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

I have voted no.

I have pistols stored at a club under section 7.3 and it gives little shooting satisfaction to use them under such restrictions.

They don't feel that they are "my" guns any more.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Primer

#7 Post by Primer »

+2 on the theft point, also I think it would get a bit mundane if you couldn't take your pistol to other clubs to shoot in competitions, you may aswell say no personal ownership but you can hire club guns out at least you could then travel around and shoot in comps at said clubs.
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#8 Post by the running man »

saddler wrote:NO

More prone to theft if centrally stored
My club has ZERO storage possibilities

A BETTER option would be on the same basis as the use of pistols by some deer stalkers/hunters for Humane Despatch. THEY have their FAC's condition in such a way that they hold on said FAC an otherwise S.5 item.
Why not expand such S.5 exemption clauses to include certain types of .22 pistol for supervised target shooting?

It'd be a lot less admin. & parliamentary bun throwing/point scoring/meedja frenzy

Saddler makes a good point, ive got a 2 shot smith, yet I cannot use it on the range, whats more i can have a 50cal but not a proper pistol? I accidently pressed yes by the way!
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
Christel
Site Admin

#9 Post by Christel »

On top of the very valid arguments given here I would like to add that I do not believe in the licensing system as it is, way too much paperwork, way too much legislation, way too much control. So...I voted no, because I do not want to get pistols back if it means even more control.

We have to draw the line, stop controlling us.
jjvc

#10 Post by jjvc »

No, for the same reason as Droomie, I have a 7.3 revolver too.