Pimping the BR99

'Something shiny from the SHED' - A range of shooting and reloading accessories designed and built here in the UK.
Ovenpaa

Pimping the BR99

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Remember my recent posts on the BR99 Section 1 box feed shotgun? Well this is one I was working on today, suitably modified for use as a Racegun. This one has a mix of functional and aesthetic modifications and in theory it should be no more than an hour or so’s work to bring the BR99 to this specification.

So starting at the top:

Front and rear flip-up Magpul open sights. The standard BR99 rear sight is fitted to an AR type carry handle and I really did not like it, now this sounds like a bad start, first paragraph and I am criticising the BR99 however I am not as I really do like these, it is just that I could not get on with them, the Magpul offerings have transformed the sight picture and cheek weld is also perfect for both myself and the owner.

Moving forward is a breaching choke complete with very pointy teeth on the end, I did offer to machine them back however this was greeted with a scowl. No doubt such an item would be banned in Scotland for being pointy..

The front end has been changed to an aluminium unit with forward charging handle. This item comes with a new lightweight piston and top Picatinny rail. The item is superbly made however it did not fit… well it nearly did however it took an hours work to sort out the internals so it could be fitted, it was not the end of the world and is a huge improvement as you effectively have a forward assist that can be operated with the left hand. The manufacturers are aware of this issue and the new ones will be built with the necessary clearance. If it was not for this minor issue all of the listed modifications could have been fitted in under an hour.

Moving down is a new oversize magazine release catch and an enlarged bolt handle and sitting on the left hand side is an extended bolt release catch so the BR99 bolt can be released with one finger from within the trigger guard.

Final modification is 1.1Kgs of Chromite heavy sand in the butt section. To do this find a suitable light plastic bag without holes, remove the rubber butt pad and stuff the bag into the void, now add the Chromite slowly tapping the butt from time to time to settle the sand, once filled tie a knot in the end of the bag and replace the butt pad. This does add some weight however it also moves the centre of balance back and keeps everything quite neutral, a worthwhile and cheap improvement.

The BR99 is becoming a firm favourite of mine and cost wise it is a serious box fed bargain.

Many thanks to DangerMouse for hauling his BR99 over today for me to pull apart and fiddle with and for the photo shoot.

For those of you asking about the 10 shot magazines they are due in right now and only a couple of weeks late… I am starting to learn that anything involving firearms coming into or going out of the UK takes time and patience to allow things to progress properly.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

Re: Pimping the BR99

#2 Post by Dangermouse »

I have only just put this away, it's been a long time since the last time I did not want to put a gun away.
It looks fantastic & handles great and for me has a massive grin factor.
Strangely when you handle this you dont so much think AR more H&K/SLR, especially with that mag.

A bit about the bling.

With this set up you do not have to take your strong hand from the pistol grip at any point.
The mag release works as normal for a AR and is pressed with the strong hand fore finger.
The magazine is replaced with a fresh one and as you bring the gun back up to the shoulder you drop the bolt using the BAD lever (the BB99 has last round hold open), again with the fore finger. It may not sound like much of a time saving but you can do it without looking down or fumbling for the bolt release and instead get the weak hand back on the fore grip.
I have not timed this yet but given that I was useless at loading shells in to a tube, this will easily be quicker for me.
At this time the mags do not fall free but as the mag well is plastic I have no doubt that with a little sanding in the right place, this willl be an easy job.
And on to the left hand cocking lever. Not only can you use this to cock the gun but more practically, you can use it to clear a stoppage or stove pipe. Again emphasising whilst keeping the strong hand on the pistol grip and if need be, with the gun still in the shoulder and pointed down range.
Ovenpaa may be able to achieve a left hand cocking lever design for the standard fore end, it will be cheaper but this CNC product looks and feels the mutts nutts.

The breacher choke is purely cosmetic and helps finish of the end.
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Dangermouse

#3 Post by Dangermouse »

How rude of me,

A Big thank you to Ovenpaa. All these parts are designed for this system however the manufacturer will be quick to point out that the BB99 varies from gun to gun and that some fetling is required.
So some fetling was required and this was best done with the right tools and skill, even if the tea was a bit dry..
:run:
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

tongueout
phaedra1106

#5 Post by phaedra1106 »

And very nice it looks too :good:

I may as well be the first to ask, how much extra does all that nice gun bling and associated "fettling" cost then? smile2

(And please stop posting those tempting photos as I am rapidly running out of room and don't have anywhere to fit a third cabinet!) :oops:
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Dangermouse

#6 Post by Dangermouse »

You should get some change from £350, depending on how much fettling / man hours is required in the workshop. On this occassion I was stung for £50 with uk import fees / tax / delivery etc, that's included in the above price.

Some may say that is a bit steep but all in I have still only spent £850 with some 10 round mags to add to that. Considering how much the AK's are I think this is a good buy. Time will tell how well they hold their own,

DM
DanTheMan
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#7 Post by DanTheMan »

It's growing on me, were the go faster parts from toothandnailarmory and are they cool to ship to the UK ?
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

I like the look of that, do you still have any in stock or are they sold out?.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Dangermouse

#9 Post by Dangermouse »

Dan,

All the parts are tooh and nail. The company is very good to deal with, fast to reply to emails and in my case posted the parts same day.
I would just make sure that you insist on the new larger fore grip before ordering, I don't think the new item is on their web site yet.

DM
Blackstuff

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

tongueout

Got my breacher choke, extended mag release and BAD lever sitting in the mancave waiting for the my Bora99 to arrive (tomorrow hopefully). Its also coming with 5 x 10rd mags bangbang Still need to save my pennies for the side charging foreguard though.

I think getting the mags to fall freely is going to be a priority to me if i've got any chance of keeping up with the Saiga boys. Does it look like it'll take much doing?

Just wish someone would bring out an aluminium lower for it like there is for the MKA1919 so you can put AR-15 stocks on there.

Are you sticking with iron sights or going to put a red-dot on there too? I can't decide on how to zero it between slug and bird/buckshot - i.e. either sight it for slug and hope the spread of the bird/buck shot happens to fall into the same sight picture, or sight it in for bird/buckshot (which accounts for 85-90% of the shooting), then see where the slug lands and aim off....

P.S. Whats the difference between the flat and radiused bottomed foreguards and which one did you get??
DVC