NRA vs NSC

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: NRA vs NSC

#31 Post by Mike357 »

I have read this thread with interest.

I am returning to shooting after the pistol ban and have been a full member of my club for a year. Into gallery, long range rifle etc. I currently see no relevance or need to join the NRA. I live in Dundee and to shoot at Bisley involves a 1000 mile round trip so that ain't going to happen. I would love to stand for Council but again, a 1000 mile round trip and the popular image of the council is that is a "closed shop" especially reading Dodgyrog's comments.

What does the NRA/NSC offer me as a shooter in Scotland? Comments on the back of a Target Patch please :-)
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Robin128

#32 Post by Robin128 »

What's the point in agreeing a strategy if they have not costed it and ensured that the money will be in place?

In all my professional days I have never seen such a document so full of mum statements.

Pie in the sky.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#33 Post by Mike357 »

Rob, didn't stop the Olympic Committee bidding for the London games did it :-)
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#34 Post by dromia »

Aye that was a case of "Careful what you wish for as you might just get it".

The gutless b*****d Coe shafted shooting again just like he did during his brief tenure in the NPA, legacy - UK olympic speak for lies. :evil:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Robin128

#35 Post by Robin128 »

What did the NRA do about that?
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#36 Post by IainWR »

Robin128 wrote:What did the NRA do about that?

We did our level best to get the Olympics, including expenditure of a lot of staff time and effort. However, once it became apparent it was a dead duck, the NRA very sensibly reversed out of any involvement in a project where we have no sporting responsibility (NSRA run Olympic Rifle & Pistol, and whatever the governing body for UK clay shooting is runs clays), where the entire summer programme at Bisley would have been trashed and where experience from CG 2002 tells us there is a serious risk of being completely shafted.

NRA remains committed to supporting Olympic Shooting as a training venue, which can be done without upsetting all the stuff we usually do, without major financial exposure, and with some prospect of limited positive returns.

Iain
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#37 Post by IainWR »

Robin128 wrote:What's the point in agreeing a strategy if they have not costed it and ensured that the money will be in place?
You don't know they haven't. There are many good reasons for not broadcasting your financial position and resources to all and sundry.
In all my professional days I have never seen such a document so full of mum statements.
Pardon my ignorance, but what's a mum statement?
Pie in the sky.
Actually, I don't think it is. This has been put together with major input from very hardheaded people who run, or ran, large portions of billion-pound organizations. They don't waste their valuable free time on things that won't work.

Iain
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#38 Post by dromia »

Pie in the sky.
Actually, I don't think it is. This has been put together with major input from very hardheaded people who run, or ran, large portions of billion-pound organizations. They don't waste their valuable free time on things that won't work.

Iain
I'm sure they don't Iain and such skills are valuable so long as it is well tempered with a profound understanding of the "market place" and what the tangible outcomes will be and how success is going to be measured. Thats the hard information I'd like to see from the NRA.

We need to have confidence based on results that mean something, so as to be able to champion and support the NRA at the local level.

When I was in senior management of a National Organisation the key mantra for us was the need for a clear line of sight between those on the ground and those at the top and the "Mission" so that every one knew what they working for and how they contributed to the shared goal, that ensured that everyone pulled together. In full bore shooting that clarity and understanding is not there yet and the NRA is almost working in a national vacumn divorced from the people it could be representing.

The core business needs to be defined and then concentrated upon to build a foundation. The NRA seems to be resource poor so maybe it needs to rein in its short to medium term ambitions to ensure sound delivery on a few fronts rather than no delivery on many.

Finally I will say again that if the NRA is strapped for cash they it should look at realising some of the hard assets it has at Bisley to the market place.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#39 Post by dodgyrog »

dromia wrote:Aye that was a case of "Careful what you wish for as you might just get it".

The gutless b*****d Coe shafted shooting again just like he did during his brief tenure in the NPA, legacy - UK olympic speak for lies. :evil:
It was the UKPSA but the result was the same. He sold his soul!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Robin128

#40 Post by Robin128 »

Nothing more to add.

Dromia, our minds are at one.