NRA vs NSC

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: NRA vs NSC

#21 Post by dodgyrog »

But we are changing in the FSB and trying to come into the 21st Century.
210000 members is only a drop in the ocean when you look at the number of small businesses out there.
You and I should get together with John and have a chat!
He might actually listen? :shock:
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#22 Post by dromia »

I don't think that its the individual council members that are the problem its the corporate totality of the NRA that is failing.

People like Karen, John and Heather have my respect as they have the balls to come hear and engage with our frustrations, a lot of which I suspect they understand even if they do not share it, however their positions and professionalism means that they need to be somewhat circumspect.

It would be nice to hear Glyn Algers take on what is being said here and elsewhere in relation to the NRA.

His regional visits were a good vehicle for that I thought, but unfortunately he didn't see them of any benefit as he has stopped doing them.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#23 Post by dromia »

dodgyrog wrote:But we are changing in the FSB and trying to come into the 21st Century.
210000 members is only a drop in the ocean when you look at the number of small businesses out there.
You and I should get together with John and have a chat!
He might actually listen? :shock:

Any time Roger and I will still write to you as promised about the FSBs irrelevance to little businesses like me. :(

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

John25

#24 Post by John25 »

Guys,

I work for the NSC (currently) I like my job, I like the money because it means that I can shoot more.

PM me, email me, I'll help all I can but I won't 'slag off' the NRA.

There are lots of us trying to do the best by ALL disciplines not just our own.

YOUR help is welcome your valid criticism is useful (note, I didn't say welcome) ;) .

PM me, email me, I'll help all I can but I won't 'slag off' the NRA.
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#25 Post by IainWR »

Robin128 wrote:Define the approriate strategy ... put in place leadership that is really behind said strategy... and things might just change for the better.

Now that Iain Robertson, vice-chairman, NRA Shooting Committee has joined the forum, perhaps he would like to comment.

:D
Well, the first comment would be that if you look on the NRA website, in the top left-hand corner of the home page, there is a box entitled NRA strategy. There you can read what it is. It is endorsed by the Council, all of whom are:

Volunteers
Serving with the approval of the General Council, who are elected by the Members.

I think things are changing for the better. The Council is desperately concerned with ways of raising the large gobs of cash that we need to do the stuff you would like. Within Shooting Committee, which deals with the much narrower field of providing the best advice we can on the core activities, we are seeking improvements within the currently very limited budget. This means not only that there is little money for stuff, but also that there is little money for staff, so most of the work on new things gets done by volunteers (like me) and thus there is only limited potential to force the pace. But we do what we can. At grassroots, we have just kicked off a scheme to place NRA members expertise direct into cadet units around the country. There are rule changes in TR to make the competitive aspect more attractive to the young and inexperienced (I'm proof reading the Chairman's Prize rules right now). Target Shotgun rules in draft are about fourth on my list of things to review - a great piece of work by enthusiastic members who will get the support of the NRA to take their chosen activity forward just as soon as we are sure we have all the legal, technical, safety, insurance, development, participation, co-operation, status etc etc aspects nailed down. At elite level, there are international representative teams in most disciplines. The Gallery Rifle community in particular have done a great job in turning the wreckage of GB pistol shooting into an international competitive sport with, I believe, the fastest-growing following of all our disciplines.

It ain't perfect. In fact it's a very long way from perfect. But we are doing our best, honest. And BTW I am not a member of the North London RC, from the verandah of which it has been popularly suppoesd all Establishment decisions at Bisley emanate (would insert smiley here if I could get the little B*****s to work!)

yours

Iain Robertson
dromia
Site Admin

#26 Post by dromia »

Thanks for the offer John it is appreciated.

I don't think anyone wants you to slag off the NRA and I don't think anyone here is either.

I am expressing my genuine concerns and frustrations about the NRA, I sincerely wish that I could be more positive about it and the future of shooting. I've been a NRA member for many years, have shot at Bisley regularly in the past and really love the place. Unless the NRA really changes its direction this will be my last year as a member. I won't be leaving through spite but because I can see nothing that the NRA offers me or my situation as a regional shooter. I have genuine sadness that there is no national organisation the truly tries to represent shooting and gun owners. I'd so wanted the NRA to do this but for whatever reasons it hasn't or can't.

Don't however just dismiss what is being said here as just popping at the NRA, all that I have read I recognise, it may not seem that way from Bisley but that is how it is seen by many shooters outside. Even if a lot of what is said were not true it is still believed as true and the NRA has to overcome that by actions not words to gain the support of the shooting community in the UK.

The NRA has to be more, and seen to be more than just Bisley and Target Rifle.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#27 Post by dodgyrog »

Here, here!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
dromia
Site Admin

#28 Post by dromia »

IainWR wrote:
Robin128 wrote:Define the approriate strategy ... put in place leadership that is really behind said strategy... and things might just change for the better.

Now that Iain Robertson, vice-chairman, NRA Shooting Committee has joined the forum, perhaps he would like to comment.

:D
Well, the first comment would be that if you look on the NRA website, in the top left-hand corner of the home page, there is a box entitled NRA strategy. There you can read what it is. It is endorsed by the Council, all of whom are:

Volunteers
Serving with the approval of the General Council, who are elected by the Members.

I think things are changing for the better. The Council is desperately concerned with ways of raising the large gobs of cash that we need to do the stuff you would like. Within Shooting Committee, which deals with the much narrower field of providing the best advice we can on the core activities, we are seeking improvements within the currently very limited budget. This means not only that there is little money for stuff, but also that there is little money for staff, so most of the work on new things gets done by volunteers (like me) and thus there is only limited potential to force the pace. But we do what we can. At grassroots, we have just kicked off a scheme to place NRA members expertise direct into cadet units around the country. There are rule changes in TR to make the competitive aspect more attractive to the young and inexperienced (I'm proof reading the Chairman's Prize rules right now). Target Shotgun rules in draft are about fourth on my list of things to review - a great piece of work by enthusiastic members who will get the support of the NRA to take their chosen activity forward just as soon as we are sure we have all the legal, technical, safety, insurance, development, participation, co-operation, status etc etc aspects nailed down. At elite level, there are international representative teams in most disciplines. The Gallery Rifle community in particular have done a great job in turning the wreckage of GB pistol shooting into an international competitive sport with, I believe, the fastest-growing following of all our disciplines.

It ain't perfect. In fact it's a very long way from perfect. But we are doing our best, honest. And BTW I am not a member of the North London RC, from the verandah of which it has been popularly suppoesd all Establishment decisions at Bisley emanate (would insert smiley here if I could get the little B*****s to work!)

yours

Iain Robertson
Thanks Iain, I have read the strategy and see nothing in it to argue with. I suppose then what I'd like to see are the action plans for delivery of the aims, key milestones and progress measurement because until the regions and shooters start to see something tangible coming from the words it will be just that, words.

Now, I appreciate that there is some new blood around trying to make a difference but over the years all we've had is words and because of that the NRA has a big credibility mountain to climb.

I wish you luck mate in all that you and your colleagues want to do for shooting.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Robin128

#29 Post by Robin128 »

Need I say more?
dromia
Site Admin

#30 Post by dromia »

Just another quick point Iain in relation to your post about what is going on. The NRA has to realise that a lot of its potential shooting constituency out there are not competitively minded and are more interested in guns than competition. The NRA has to make itself relevant to them too and thats about three things facilities, facilities, facilities.

Being competition centric excludes a lot of shooters and gun owners.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!