I've only gone and done it..............

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Scotsgun

I've only gone and done it..............

#1 Post by Scotsgun »

Remington 700s, i hate the bloody things. You'll hear people claim they're great rifles and then promptly tell you how they fitted another stock, trigger, etc ....which makes you wonder just how much is actually original?

So I may have mentioned that i wanted a cheap rifle for rough shooting - something i wouldn't loose sleep over if it got beaten about. I was considering 'tarting up' an ex-service rifle when i spoke to a dealer friend who basically called me nuts. The gun trade is so slow at present that there are 2yr old 'new' guns still sitting on dealers racks yet they are getting pressure from the importers to take new guns. He then proceeded to list some real bargains.

I was about to take a new Ruger No1 off his hands for only £700 when he offered me the rifle below for crazy money: Remington 700 VSF with Bell & Carson stock, fluted heavy barrel, one of their new fangled x-mark pro triggers and for less than 1/2 the RRP........God forgive me, but i'm actually happy that i have a Remington 700 in my collection.

Now to choose a moderator.....
Robin128

Re: I've only gone and done it..............

#2 Post by Robin128 »

What cartridge and will one of your existing mods do?...ie my 308win T8 does for my 223rem.

You could well get on with the trigger...can't remember if it adjusts...and my back is telling me to go to bed.

Why have you hated a 700?
TobyH

#3 Post by TobyH »

Have to say that I was initially really looking to get a Rem 700, then started reading the same thing about all the mods that people did to them. To me this implies that there are issues with the original parts that people aren't happy with. I realise there are alot of modification possibilities, but for this price of rifle there are better choices that don't need parts replacing to get to a good standard.

However, for the right price....
"Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down." - Dick Sharples
Robin128

#4 Post by Robin128 »

It's not a case that parts need replacing...its just that this rifle is so popular there is demand for variations on a theme...like much lighter triggers.

You can get one with a marzipan stock or one with a H S Precision stock.

Remington gives the buyer an opportunity to upgrade at a later date, without having to part ex.

The 700 is one of the most popular rifles in the world...wonder why?
TobyH

#5 Post by TobyH »

Price?
Scotsgun

#6 Post by Scotsgun »

I hear you TobyH and agree completely. Why buy a rifle with a bendy tupperware stock, rubbish trigger etc when for a little more you can get a 'quality' european rifle which eliminates the need to modify? It's for that reason that i generally buy Sako or similar but in this case i got a brand new rifle for less than half the RRP which already has a decent adjustable trigger and aftermarket stock, with decent recoil pad.

Robin, i had a choice of 223, 22-250 and 243. I opted for 22-250 and i already have a DM2 moderator and Zeiss scope sitting in the cupboard, for it.
Robin128

#7 Post by Robin128 »

What more could you want from a good rifle...tried it out yet?

:)
TobyH

#8 Post by TobyH »

Sounds like you got a good deal to me, with the mods already done which saves a fair bit. Nice stock too.

Just the barrel and action to go and you'll have a proper gun :lol: :twisted:
Jenks

#9 Post by Jenks »

Scotsgun wrote:I hear you TobyH and agree completely. Why buy a rifle with a bendy tupperware stock, rubbish trigger etc when for a little more you can get a 'quality' european rifle which eliminates the need to modify? It's for that reason that i generally buy Sako or similar but in this case i got a brand new rifle for less than half the RRP which already has a decent adjustable trigger and aftermarket stock, with decent recoil pad.

Robin, i had a choice of 223, 22-250 and 243. I opted for 22-250 and i already have a DM2 moderator and Zeiss scope sitting in the cupboard, for it.

Scotsgun..

I used to own a Sako 75 in .270win really regret getting rid of it. Perfect straight out of the box. only downside was the stock. It was nicely figured wood but I used to dread taking it out on the hills it suffered numerous dinks and scratches. My stalking partner had one in 6.5.55se and it was the most accurate sporting rifle I have ever shot. My wife girlfriend as she was then had never fired it and the only time she did, in dreadful weather on a bare arsed hill she produced this group I was amazed, so much so that I framed it and it now hangs on the wall. shortly after my chum had a brain storm and sold it sold it . Of course he immediately regretted it.

Jenks
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Shooting in DK last year TomK of this forum showed up one morning with his wife who has absolutely no interest in shooting. She tried Christels rifle at 600m, shot a 3" group and promptly announced she wanted one. Oopss.....
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal