A return of Handguns, a discussion.

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Ares590

Re: A return of Handguns, a discussion.

#101 Post by Ares590 »

Gaz wrote:I wouldn't care to be represented by a campaign that calls for armed self-defence as I reckon that'll make it far easier for hostile groups such as ACPO and the GCN, and the easily led, such as the mainstream media and the public, to paint us all as a bunch of gun-toting rednecks and dismiss anything useful we actually do say.
Heres another problem, if our argument is purely sports based then it will be easy for them to say "there prepared to put your children in danger for there own fun"
however if its based on self defence then you can say "we can use it to protect ourselves and our families and the current situation is putting us in danger incase we are met by a violent criminal in our own home"
Blackstuff

#102 Post by Blackstuff »

Ares590 wrote:
Gaz wrote:I wouldn't care to be represented by a campaign that calls for armed self-defence as I reckon that'll make it far easier for hostile groups such as ACPO and the GCN, and the easily led, such as the mainstream media and the public, to paint us all as a bunch of gun-toting rednecks and dismiss anything useful we actually do say.
Heres another problem, if our argument is purely sports based then it will be easy for them to say "there prepared to put your children in danger for there own fun"
however if its based on self defence then you can say "we can use it to protect ourselves and our families and the current situation is putting us in danger incase we are met by a violent criminal in our own home"
This is the catch22 situation! Once we lost the right to have a gun for self-defence we were on a losing streak :bad: Defending guns on sport and economical reasons alone can seem very weak when the unthinking are weighing that benefit against peoples lives, but at the same time the chances of getting self-defence with guns back on the books is slim to zero :roll:
DVC
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#103 Post by HALODIN »

If you talk to highly successful individuals, they'll quickly tell you the route to success is having [achievable|realistic] goals. Campaigning for the use of firearms in the aid of self defence is neither achievable, nor realistic. IMO Firearms UK need to pick their battles and it would be hard to garner support, until they have a clear manifesto with achievable goals.
froggy
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#104 Post by froggy »

Campaigning for the use of firearms in the aid of self defence is neither achievable, nor realistic

+1,
a 1st realistic step would be securing SA 22 lr pistols to "win medals"...
Nothing nasty... "smallbore" ... just the type that Joe Bloggs public has seen in the hands of Olympic Team GB. Something sporty looking to get "Gold for the country", paint them in pink if it helps... get a single lesbian black mum to hold it on the 1st press conference photo... I dont care ;)
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
HALODIN

#105 Post by HALODIN »

+1 :lol:
froggy wrote:get a single lesbian black mum to hold it on the 1st press conference photo... I dont care ;)
M1Charles1M
Home club or Range: Swadlincote Rifle and Pistol Club

#106 Post by M1Charles1M »

Blackstuff wrote:
Ares590 wrote:
This is the catch22 situation! Once we lost the right to have a gun for self-defence we were on a losing streak :bad: Defending guns on sport and economical reasons alone can seem very weak when the unthinking are weighing that benefit against peoples lives, but at the same time the chances of getting self-defence with guns back on the books is slim to zero :roll:
Get your facts right, prepare your ground, know your audience, present factual information and don't invalidate anyone else's point if view. No subject should be taboo its often just in the timing and the people listening. No one has an invalid opinion, all that does detract in my view is when it is dismissed out of hand and negative, don't criticise, engage and get involved!
Last edited by M1Charles1M on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guns are implements - They do not have Autonomy - Free thought or intent - To operate they need the input of a Person - To be Dangerous that Person must have Intent! I Shoot - I am a Law Abiding UK Subject - So what about my RIGHTS?
M1Charles1M

#107 Post by M1Charles1M »

HALODIN wrote:If you talk to highly successful individuals, they'll quickly tell you the route to success is having [achievable|realistic] goals. Campaigning for the use of firearms in the aid of self defence is neither achievable, nor realistic. IMO Firearms UK need to pick their battles and it would be hard to garner support, until they have a clear manifesto with achievable goals.
You make an excellent and very important point, if people do not know what you stand for and your message is confused or disorganised then no one will be bothered.
Guns are implements - They do not have Autonomy - Free thought or intent - To operate they need the input of a Person - To be Dangerous that Person must have Intent! I Shoot - I am a Law Abiding UK Subject - So what about my RIGHTS?
HALODIN

#108 Post by HALODIN »

If you're in contact with them, ask them to contribute to this thread, perhaps we can help.
M1Charles1M

#109 Post by M1Charles1M »

HALODIN wrote:If you're in contact with them, ask them to contribute to this thread, perhaps we can help.
Ok I will, post back over the weekend. Nice to have a positive response for a change instead of just the usual, thanks.
M1Charles1M

#110 Post by M1Charles1M »

HALODIN wrote:If you're in contact with them, ask them to contribute to this thread, perhaps we can help.
I have mentioned the contact information on the website, I think that should be fixed by now. And I suggested to them to visit and add their comments, we'll see if they do?