All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Robin128

Top Ten Clay Dusters

#1 Post by Robin128 »

Ovenpaa

Re: Top Ten Clay Dusters

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have to ask does money invested in a shotgun mean more broken clays per day? I am not talking about the difference between a GBP150 and a GBP1000 shogun, more the differences between say my fairly average 15 year old Miroku 6000 and say a Krieghoff or one of the other exotics? I shot with a UK Team skeet shooter many years ago, he gave me some pointers and then we did a few rounds, I picked up a lot and went from 18/20's to 24's (never got the last one!) I asked how much difference his gun made to his shooting and he said very little, he only used it because he was sponsored.

He then went on to shoot with mine, alternating left and right shoulder and still beat me. So gun or practice and ability? A few years later I shot at one of the county shoots in Cambs and Dick had set the course, he spotted me and promptly gave me a few pointers including do not be intimidated by the top shooters attending. It made a difference as well ;)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Polchraine

#3 Post by Polchraine »

Recently at a shoot one member had flown in and not had time to get his gun. He normally shoots 45/50 or over and has been know to get 49s.

No one has any problem in lending a gun be he decided to see what would happen if he borrowed several. There were 5 guns in the squad including a 12g SxS and a 28g OU.

On each stand he borrowed one gun for each pair - and we decided the order. A real random selection for him.

His score 39/50 - given he used 5 guns he had never shot before, each was different in weight, trigger pull and barrel length & weight, I would say an excellent score.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Robin128

#4 Post by Robin128 »

One of the guys I shoot with has a laugh when he gets all his clays with his first shot...more often than not...shoots a S/H Baikal, and hates everything else...he laughs at me on a bad day and asks what I payed for my berettas... :evil: ...I don't know a better shot...but he doesn't do comps.

Hell of a shot...and he's had TWO bypass ops.

Do you ever notice newcomers who start with good scores within days...born naturals?
Scotsgun

#5 Post by Scotsgun »

Nice line up of guns, but can't agree with the order. I own the Cynergy and wouldn't rate it as highly. Loved the music.

I only really practice on clays for a few months, right before the start of the wildfowling season. I used to use the ground at Brentwood, Essex where i'd occassionally bump into Mike Yardley. A genuinely nice guy who would think nothing of coming over and spending his time with you if he saw you struggling.

Amazing what he could teach just with a few quiet pointers and demonstrations.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Robin128 wrote:Do you ever notice newcomers who start with good scores within days...born naturals?
Yes i have noticed this, I have also known novices shoot very well with borrowed guns but shoot badly when they invest in something for themselves.

Years ago as I was heading out one morning my neighbour leapt out with a slip and said try this. It was plain looking thing with a light trigger and I soon gave up on it and went back to whatever I was shooting at the time, come break a couple of the other shooters looked at it, rolled their eyes and told me It was 2k's worth of Browning, and this was very early 1980's. When I handed it back at the end of the day the neighbour told me he never took it out as he was always worried about damaging it. :o
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal