The Støtteben F/TR bipod is coming back!

'Something shiny from the SHED' - A range of shooting and reloading accessories designed and built here in the UK.
Maggot

Re: The Støtteben F/TR bipod is coming back!

#31 Post by Maggot »

ovenpaa wrote:Over half the users of the bipods do not use podlocks at all, instead they use the friction screws at the top which work very nicely, I tried this method myself and was pleased with the results. Two people use two podlocks and the rest are using one podlock only. From memory they are around GBP3.90 each.
That is probably because over half of the users have not had the chance to try 2 Dave.

It is much kinder on the bipod (given that the locking is dependant on a metal to metal contact) to just un nip both and nip them up again.

The longer ones give a relatively easy, finger tip locking.

It is not up to me to tell you how to make the bipod, but to me it makes more sense to lock both up pretty equally.

So its a very nice option to have and I would not do without it. You will soon be taking your frustration out on the pod and the nylon washers by forcing the thing where you need it rather than reaching for the allen keys.

It just takes a finger tip and you can do it in the prone position.

I also feel that if a buyer is that close to max weight then you should be losing it from elswhere, or should plan better for the build (if a drop of dew is going to put you over).

I know some dont lock, I do and many do.

From my point of view, having used one for a few months now, yes, if you need a decent bipod for F/TR, get one of these....sell a testicle if you have to (would probably just about raise enough for a second podlock).

My only (Personal) tick is I would like a more rigid/thicker threaded adjusting rod (like the one you retro fitted to my Tracker) but I can see why you would not want to.

Great bipod, works well, dont need to look anywhere else.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#32 Post by Ovenpaa »

I can source lighter podlocks however they are orange and black plastic, flimsier and I feel it spoils the look of the bipod. When I use one of these bipods I do not use any locks, instead I have the tension on the upper picot points set such that the bipod can be canted but with some resistance which saves leaning forward to make minor adjustments, if I had the podlocks fitted I would be setting them to a similar tension.

The elevation screws are stainless steel M6, moving to M8 sticks a load of weight on the system. The alternative is to machine them from a good grade of aluminium such as 7075 T6 and to machine an M8 left hand thread over the required 125,0mm takes a long time to get right as the material flexes. I built the Vikings bipod with aluminium elevation screws and it was 4 hours work. Yes I can supply them with M8 threads however they are heavier, yes I can supply them with aluminium threads however they then become more expensive and my constant battle is weight and cost. There are bipods on the market now that weigh sub 300 grams however they are not as wide as ours, I think if weight is a hugely significant factor then our bipods may not be the right choice, even the new build are going to be 650 grams or maybe a tad under and until I put one together I will not know.

If people want light and wide I can supply our bipod in titanium. tongueout
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#33 Post by Christel »

We are shipping bipods out next week. We have a couple left if anyone is interested.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#34 Post by Ovenpaa »

The Støtteben II

All back from anodising and engraving, there is a 7.5% weight saving over the original, slight change to the T Nut so it fits more Anschütz 'type' rails, longer elevation shaft with the thumb wheel moved in by 20,0mm to make the operation slightly easier when the bipod is in it's lowest position and revised foot profile.

/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal