9mm lever release pistol?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Yogi GunKanobee

Re: 9mm lever release pistol?

#21 Post by Yogi GunKanobee »

Sim G wrote: Has this not been the reason behind the catastrophic failures of several of the SGC 9mm carbines? A huge 13oz bolt being stopped dead against the frame every round fired?

I'm not a metalurgist or a physicist, but a secondary education 29 years ago has me thinking out the long term pitfalls of this sort of operation....
Actually, the bolt hits a kind of piston affair, a fairly heavy cylinder of metal that fits into a spring roughly about 1' long by about 1" diameter that resides in the bit that the butt slides onto. Well, it does in mine anyway, which is new, and my mates which is a few years old.
GRSporth1
Home club or Range: Bangor

#22 Post by GRSporth1 »

joe wrote: not doing one in 9mm any more?
9mm will (supposedly) be the first batch.

They are also doing them in 45ACP.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#23 Post by Blackstuff »

Yogi GunKanobee wrote:
Sim G wrote: Has this not been the reason behind the catastrophic failures of several of the SGC 9mm carbines? A huge 13oz bolt being stopped dead against the frame every round fired?

I'm not a metalurgist or a physicist, but a secondary education 29 years ago has me thinking out the long term pitfalls of this sort of operation....
Actually, the bolt hits a kind of piston affair, a fairly heavy cylinder of metal that fits into a spring roughly about 1' long by about 1" diameter that resides in the bit that the butt slides onto. Well, it does in mine anyway, which is new, and my mates which is a few years old.
Yep, not sure where Simon was going with that one, the recoil buffer/spring stops the bolt, not the frame kukkuk :lol:
DVC
joe

#24 Post by joe »

since these pistols are not really semi auto, are these pistols just really expensive look alike semi auto pistols ??!
Sim G

#25 Post by Sim G »

Blackstuff wrote:Yep, not sure where Simon was going with that one, the recoil buffer/spring stops the bolt, not the frame kukkuk :lol:

When the bolt is forced rearwards by firing, the buffer and the spring cause the bolt to lose it's kinetic energy by work upon the spring. This stored energy is then propelled forward as the spring extends. When the bolt is held to the rear, all of this energy is dissipated throughout the receiver extension (buffer tube). Poor manufacture and repeated exposure to this equals catastrophic failure, as per Jeff's and other LR carbines. Decent manufacture and repeated exposure as in this LR pistol, exaggerated wear.

I had an issue 1960's era Browning that was U/S after around 25 years service, with a cracked frame....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#26 Post by Blackstuff »

Now i did drop out of A-level physics in the 2nd year but i'm pretty confident that the majority of the kinetic energy given to the spring by the bolt will be retained as potential energy until the bolt (and therefore buffer spring) is released. smile2 I don't think that the amount of energy transferred to the frame of the gun is significantly different between a semi/auto version, and a lever release version, the bolt still comes to a 'stopped' position in both versions.

From what i've seen of the guns that have blown up, its appears to simply have been sh!t metal in the retaining pin loops that snapped and allowed the receivers to separate enough that the gun still fired, but not enough to allow the bolt to go into the buffer tube properly. :run:
DVC
joe

#27 Post by joe »

anyone think they could fire this pistol as fast as a semi auto ? :twisted: :twisted:
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#28 Post by Blackstuff »

You can get off a rate of fire close to what (most people) think a semi-auto gun can be fired at with the LRA9 so i'd imagine with practice you could do the same with the pistol :good:
DVC
joe

#29 Post by joe »

Blackstuff wrote:You can get off a rate of fire close to what (most people) think a semi-auto gun can be fired at with the LRA9 so i'd imagine with practice you could do the same with the pistol :good:

sounds good, saw some youtube vids of LRA9 and they were being fired as fast as semi nearly ! i have got a taurus lbr chambered in .44 magnum good gun however i dont trust it to last a very long time, the Tanfoglio pistols are in different league in terms of quality (accordoing to the reviews i've read online) compared to the taurus. Italian made for starters ! also much easier to get parts as well.
now which one to get 9mm or 45, thinking since i shoot .44 specials loaded to velocities of 830fps they are very smilulare ballistics to .45 so i might get one in 9mm instead
i take it 9mm will better for rapid fire due to less recoil and muzzle rise ??
joe

#30 Post by joe »

spoke to pete earlier said he was having legal and tech issues !!! dont tell me they going to ban / order to stop production even before it goes on sale !!????? how can the homeoffice ok an lever release 9mm AR and not a long barrel pistol version ???