9mm lever release pistol?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: 9mm lever release pistol?

#11 Post by mag41uk »

10MM.Proper cartridge! And Tangfolio do offer it to order so should be feasible.
Or 45 winmag.
If it does sell for £1600 that isnt that bad for what is avery limited custom gun.
People were spending that on custom Smiths and 1911`s in pistol days.
Ares590

#12 Post by Ares590 »

mag41uk wrote:10MM.Proper cartridge! And Tangfolio do offer it to order so should be feasible.
Or 45 winmag.
If it does sell for £1600 that isnt that bad for what is avery limited custom gun.
I think its worth £1600 I would like one. not sure about 9mm vs 45acp though...
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#13 Post by channel12 »

Ares590 wrote:
mag41uk wrote:10MM.Proper cartridge! And Tangfolio do offer it to order so should be feasible.
Or 45 winmag.
I think its worth £1600 I would like one. not sure about 9mm vs 45acp though...
It's Tanfoglio you've got the "g" in the wrong place! And being an Italian name the "gl" is a double L sound so it's tan-foe-lee-o.
joe

#14 Post by joe »

whats the update with these pistols then?? have they got home office approval yet?? has anyone got one??? need to have handle it frist before putting down cash on it ! need to see if i work the slide release with one hand first!?
GRSporth1
Home club or Range: Bangor

#15 Post by GRSporth1 »

joe wrote:whats the update with these pistols then?? have they got home office approval yet?? has anyone got one???
As of a few weeks ago when I last asked, they are still going through approval.
Apparently there are some planned changes from the prototype, although I don't have details.
They will be doing them in 45ACP.

Sounds like it will be well into next year.

I keep changing my mind about these - Its the closest we're likely to get to a real 1911, but is it actually any better than a (decent) revolver or .22 LBP?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Sim G »

I saw them at Phoenix last year and because it was quiet, I got to handle the show example for a good 10 minutes whilst speaking with the blokes from Midway about it. I was very enthusiastic. I've gone off the boil. Not because of the wait and the moving delivery dates, but because I'm not sure about the longevity of these systems.

Slides come back with a fair amount of force. This force is absorbed and then dissapated partly from the return of the slide to battery in a normal operation of a pistol. When the slide locks back, the force of that movement is absorbed by whatever locks and blocks. Take identical pistols, hypothethically, one normal semi pistol operation, the other, a "lever release". Fire 10 magazines of 10. The "norma"l pistol only has to absorb this force of a locking slide every 10 rounds, the lever release, every round. The normal pistol is subjected to one tenth the force of the lever relealse. How would this equate to say use over a few years and 5K rounds?

Has this not been the reason behind the catastrophic failures of several of the SGC 9mm carbines? A huge 13oz bolt being stopped dead against the frame every round fired?

I'm not a metalurgist or a physicist, but a secondary education 29 years ago has me thinking out the long term pitfalls of this sort of operation....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mikaveli
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#17 Post by Mikaveli »

Can't they just make the stroke longer and then catch the bolt on the way back?

I.e. as the bolt starts to return forward under spring force.
joe

#18 Post by joe »

Mikaveli wrote:Can't they just make the stroke longer and then catch the bolt on the way back?

I.e. as the bolt starts to return forward under spring force.

ACPO says no! bangbang
joe

#19 Post by joe »

Sim G wrote:I saw them at Phoenix last year and because it was quiet, I got to handle the show example for a good 10 minutes whilst speaking with the blokes from Midway about it. I was very enthusiastic. I've gone off the boil. Not because of the wait and the moving delivery dates, but because I'm not sure about the longevity of these systems.

Slides come back with a fair amount of force. This force is absorbed and then dissapated partly from the return of the slide to battery in a normal operation of a pistol. When the slide locks back, the force of that movement is absorbed by whatever locks and blocks. Take identical pistols, hypothethically, one normal semi pistol operation, the other, a "lever release". Fire 10 magazines of 10. The "norma"l pistol only has to absorb this force of a locking slide every 10 rounds, the lever release, every round. The normal pistol is subjected to one tenth the force of the lever relealse. How would this equate to say use over a few years and 5K rounds?

Has this not been the reason behind the catastrophic failures of several of the SGC 9mm carbines? A huge 13oz bolt being stopped dead against the frame every round fired?

I'm not a metalurgist or a physicist, but a secondary education 29 years ago has me thinking out the long term pitfalls of this sort of operation....

my thinking is, on a semi auto pistol the slide recoils after its fired, is only stopped by recoil spring and slide stop, at this point the slide has stopped totally and is only moved back into battery by the recoil spring ! thus the energy is obsorbed with every shot by the frame / slide stop etc only difference with the lever release is that this is interrupted internally !

looking at the pics, why is the slide release looks back to front!? could you work the slide release with one hand? can you also release slide by moving it slightly more back (after its locked back) then release ??
joe

#20 Post by joe »

GRSporth1 wrote:
joe wrote:whats the update with these pistols then?? have they got home office approval yet?? has anyone got one???
As of a few weeks ago when I last asked, they are still going through approval.
Apparently there are some planned changes from the prototype, although I don't have details.
They will be doing them in 45ACP.

Sounds like it will be well into next year.

I keep changing my mind about these - Its the closest we're likely to get to a real 1911, but is it actually any better than a (decent) revolver or .22 LBP?

not doing one in 9mm any more?