A Day at Diggle

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

A Day at Diggle

#1 Post by dromia »

Joe and I paid our first vist to Diggle ranges and Pennine Shooting Sports Association for a Military Rifle shoot today.

Joe and I have been shooting over the years with our northern clubs on military ranges at Catterick and Otterburn as well as Bisley for the longer ranges, but the restrictions on military ranges and the increasing costs and diminishing benefits of the NRA, along with the travel time have made military ranges and Bisley less and less attractive so we have been exploring alternatives and Diggle looked promising.

After today I can say it certainly fulfilled its promise. The travel time was not bad being 2 hours from Joes and another 20 minutes from my abode. The range complex itself is extensive and well appointed with a substantial and spacious club house and a plethora of ranges out to 1000 yrds. We shot the military comp at 200 alongside a mini rifle comp at 100 yrds.

I found the Range layout, construction and targetry fascinating as range archeology is another interest of mine and I am currently researching (in an amateurish way)19th century Volunteer ranges in East Sutherland, none of which remain, a reply from the NRA to my Lord Elcho letter queery would be handy.

The comp itself was 2 sighters and 10 to count deliberate, followed by a mad minute. The weather was windy with gusting but dry and not cold, with the rain arriving at the end of the competition as we were packing up.

Joe and I came close to not embarrasing ourselves on the firing point but our scores were dissapointing and we will stick to blaming the wind. :roll: I was surprised at beating "Full Auto" wannabe Joe in the mad minute as being a left handed rifle shooter it has never been my strongest discipline. I manged to get an underwhelming 9 away for a score of 17. Tactically Joe and I had agreed that slow and make them count was better than fast and miss so when Joe had rattled off a dozen or so with a reload and time to spare I thought wow he is shooting with confidence however his single figure score belied this. I'm not sure that Joe fully understands that the Mad Minute is about hitting the target not just getting the shots off.

Anyway poor peformance aside we had terrific day, this is the first fullbore competition I've shot since 2006 and I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it.

Pennine Shooting Sports Association is a fine club, it had a good feel to it in the club house and on the range. It is well run and you feel safe on the point and in the butts. Vince looked after us very well and showed us the ropes so it is a big thank you to him for his time along with Jeanette, Cliff, Phil, Andy and all the others whose names I have failed to remember with whom we talked guns and shooting, making us feel most at home.

Our membership application forms will be in the post by end of the week. :D

BTW Vince and I also had a bit crack about the forum shoot and that will be reported on in a separate post.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1

Re: A Day at Diggle

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Wish I had known you were going down I would of tagged along.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

There will be a next time Dave. :D

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#4 Post by Mike357 »

dromia wrote:There will be a next time Dave. :D
Let me know when you are going and I might tag along too!
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
dromia
Site Admin

#5 Post by dromia »

Looks like we have a car full Joe. ;)

Sunday 13th March is the next military shoot.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sounds like you had a really good day, Diggle is a lovely place to shoot and would certainly be our primary club if it was just a bit closer, but with a 3+ hour drive each way... :(

I am looking forward to hearing about the forum shoot ;)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bravo24
Home club or Range: St Giles Yarners R&P Club, Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club, Own 75m Outdoor Range. BASC Member

#7 Post by bravo24 »

We might too if we can. going to have a word with my old man and see if he fancies it
might get a chance to shoot the carcano
With a round in the chamber and the bolt locked tight
I look them in the eyes through my telescopic sight

want to be highlander

P.A Hurworth
The Gun Pimp

#8 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Dromia,

Thanks for your kind words. Great to meet up and I'm just sorry that the weather was so awful.

We have a saying at Diggle "We get six months of cold and rain - and then it's winter!"

See you all for the next one!

Cheers
Vince
jjvc

#9 Post by jjvc »

I would like to add my thanks to Vince and all the lads and lasses who made us so welcome on our first trip to Diggle.
It is a first class set up, professionally and safely run with a interesting range layout, i found the stepped butts especially
fascinating.

Looking forward to the next one,

Joe ;)
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »

Dromia, thank you for the range report, sounds like you and Joe had a great time.

:D