Lantac

For everything AR15 related and the ultimate in side charging or semi auto 22 rifles. http://www.lan-tac.com
Huge selection of accessories and upgrades, all available online. We are the UK distributor for LaRue Tactical & Battle Arms Developments.
Jame5m

Re: Lantac

#21 Post by Jame5m »

Anti-Tank wrote:
Individual wrote:
Rburro2 wrote: Next build quality Lantac probably slightly ahead of the other two.
Given that AR-15s are modular and customers can select from a huge variety of component parts, how are you measuring the 'build quality' of the supplier?

I'd be more inclined to judge build quality based on whether or not the parts used to assemble the rifle are as close to mil-spec (as far as UK section 1 will allow), i.e. are they using standard drop-in parts, or components that look like AR parts but are actually slightly out of spec, and therefore not interchangeable with off the shelf replacements. Who wants to be dependent on the original assembler/builder of the rifle for the life of the rifle.

signfunnypost

Mill spec = made to large tolerances at the cheapest rate possible!
Anti-Tank
Home club or Range: FCSA (UK)

#22 Post by Anti-Tank »

Or if you want funny, how about - "nowhere near the specifications so every part has to be butchered, sorry I mean fitted", that's great for the end user when he wants to fit new components 5 years down the line.

I'd rather a part fitted correctly the first time around.
Ovenpaa

#23 Post by Ovenpaa »

The Military will have a specification and trial equipment to that specification however the suppliers may not able to hold tolerances or QA and accordingly things are not as interchangeable as they should be. I can think of examples old and new where this is the case. Also I have known material specifications be changed to suit the parts supplied, this may not be by the MoD however it is a practice carried out by contractors to this day.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Rburro2
Home club or Range: Uttoxeter rifle club

#24 Post by Rburro2 »

Apart for the Lever Release Rifle most of Bob Clark's rifle uppers and lowers are Mislspec, however, some have had tight mag wells in the past and Magpul P Mags don’t fall free on pressing the mag release.

Bob also made his own bolt carriers which had some unique features but could be swapped around without much of a problem, triggers have been also been no problem.

All the new fancy thick walled billet uppers and lowers with unnecessary improvements aren’t Milspec; certain critical dimensions are Milspec to allow them to be swapped around but often aftermarket go faster more tacticool components require some ‘fitting’. No of these enhancements actually make the rifle shoot anymore accurately but they might make you feel better about how your rifle looks.

And there is no such thing as ‘Better Than’ Milspec; it is either Milspec or it isn’t.
Anti-Tank
Home club or Range: FCSA (UK)

#25 Post by Anti-Tank »

Sadly its a fact that one or two UK based AR builders have commissioned parts in the past that turn out to be vastly out of spec, as such the parts are heavily modified to fit, the end user isn't usually aware until its time for component replacement. Of course each builder will blame the other any mismatch.
Ovenpaa

#26 Post by Ovenpaa »

Rburro2 wrote:And there is no such thing as ‘Better Than’ Milspec; it is either Milspec or it isn’t.
Do not loose sight of the fact that the 'Milspec' item was supplied by a contractor to a cost so there will almost certainly be items which are 'like Milspec but better', however they are not milspec because they are deemed to be outside of the laid down specifications. This applies to materials, material treatment and construction and machined tolerances amongst many things.

One example that springs to mind is the old WS150 Jet engine spot weld specification. it was good but the specification applied to vehicle manufacture by Honda was higher.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Rburro2
Home club or Range: Uttoxeter rifle club

#27 Post by Rburro2 »

In short i own a Lantac Tcr it cycles just fine, it groups just fine and all the aftermarket goodies fit although they have been removed now. It didnt like steel mags when i first got it although it may now i have run it in. I only have pmags so I don know.
Pays your money make your choice
Ovenpaa

#28 Post by Ovenpaa »

Good to hear, I have no direct experience with the Lantac having not owned or shot one however they always look to be well finished and there are enough on the range to demonstrate other people like them however the same goes for Bradley Arms and SGC. I think it is down to brand loyalty, budget and geographical location. Plus if you have a mate who shoots well with an XYZ it has to be worth a look.
/d

Shed Journal
BamBam

#29 Post by BamBam »

Individual wrote:
Rburro2 wrote: Customer Service is excellent, when the rifle was first delivered the extractor pin was missing and the rifle would not function correctly....
Hmm...you do need excellent Customer Service if you have variable quality control.
BamBam wrote: The quality of anodising on the upper receiver is also excellent, as other makers of side chargers only paint them.
so we're not talking about "quality" that affects actual shooting performance here....just cosmetics?
If the coating is lower quality than mil-spec, then it's a consideration.
Alpha1

#30 Post by Alpha1 »

I have met the Guys from Lantac on the firing point and had the opportunity to shoot a lot of their gear. Our Club bought a demonstrator that we were using on the day it is fitted with all the whistles and bells and functions flawlessly. One of our members was so impressed he bought one him self in .22.
I have fired it on more than one occasion and its the dogs bo...cks the club gun is available at all of our range days as long as you use your own ammo its yours to play with. Its very popular with members.