Ogive to base measurements.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1

Re: Ogive to base measurements.

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

I could not afford to build a gun to shoot 1000yds. :cry:
Ovenpaa

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha1 wrote:I could not afford to build a gun to shoot 1000yds. :cry:
You never know, you might have that gun already, just not tried it at 1000 yards.

At the top (Silly) end of the scale are people throwing many thousands of pounds at the sport every year, at the other end are people who want to push out a bit further. I have spent years with the same .308 just chipping away to get the last bit of accuracy out of my loads. The only modifications are a home made cheek piece and a trigger job by Mikmak that cost me around 50 quid last year. The barrel is all but shot out but it will still hold around 1.8MOA at 1200 yards, and better on occasion. Not bad for something that is listed as having a workable range of 600m
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

So what are you shooting 1000yds with.
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

I shoot 1000 yards mostly with an AI/AE plus a .303 P14, and a 7mm and hopefully my No4 Mk1 very soon
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#15 Post by Alpha1 »

A P14 at a 1000yds thats intresting I own one of those.Dont think my eyes would be up to the job though.
I could not afford a A/I but I do own a steyr SSG might be intresting shooting that at a 1000yds.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#16 Post by dromia »

Don't you have a 303" Dave?

I think the 7.62/308" was backward step for long range rifle shooting, it is just an hangover from the happier days when the NRA and the military meant something to each other. The parent cartridge the 30-06 is a better choice, especially if you want to stoke those light 155 gn bullets up to stay supersonic at 1000 + yrds.

I've never felt under cartridged at 1000 yrds with the .303" in a SMLE.

If I was ever to get a "new placcy" rifle built with all this glass, knobs and launch pad stuff that is so popular for the "F" class and such like comps then I would have it chambered in .303" for cast boolits. Just need to find the pennies and a gunsmith that would understand cast boolit throating.

Not saying I would clean up with the gongs, never been that good a shot, but I'm sure I could hold my own with such a rifle. :D

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1

#17 Post by Alpha1 »

I have several .303 rifles Adam including a heavy barreled smle with target sights and a
No 4 with Parker hale sights. The P14 also has a set of Parker hale apperture sights on it they are all very accurate but I dont think I would attept 1000yds with any of them.
The biggest problem is the fact that I cannot see a target at a 1000yds. :lol: :lol:
Ovenpaa

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha1 wrote:A P14 at a 1000yds thats intresting I own one of those.Dont think my eyes would be up to the job though.
I could not afford a A/I but I do own a steyr SSG might be intresting shooting that at a 1000yds.
An SSG!! Start loading, they are great rifles and quite capable of 1000 yards. An SSG 69 PI or PII was on my list but I could not find one at the right price. I did shoot with an SSG and it shot as well as my AI, the longer barrel is a bonus a well.
/d

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#19 Post by Alpha1 »

Mine is a SSG 69 P1 with the original Khales scope and mounts it came with a test card and the re loading data that the scope is calibrated to.
Included in the price was a hard carry case two five round mags and two ten round mags.
I have shot it out to 600yds and it is so accurate it is scary I paid very litle money for it and have been offered silly amounts of money for it by people who have shot it.
Its probanly wasted on me.
Ovenpaa

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha1 wrote:Mine is a SSG 69 P1 with the original Khales scope and mounts it came with a test card and the re loading data that the scope is calibrated to.
Included in the price was a hard carry case two five round mags and two ten round mags.
That is *the* rifle system I always wanted, I even tried to persuade the Viking to have one but to no avail.

I assume telling you it is a crap rifle and you need to get rid is not going to help any :lol:

I have got an AI/AE if you ever fancy a swap..... ;)
/d

Shed Journal