50BMG and other exotics

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

lapua338

50BMG and other exotics

#1 Post by lapua338 »

Hi Guys,

Simply out of curiosity do any of the forum contributors own and shoot 50BMG, Russian 12.7mm, 338 Lapua or any other overgrown or exotic calibres?

As the majority of UK ranges are not suitable for these calibres, you are restricted to where you can shoot. How popular is this type of long-range shooting?

Plus, the reloading of these larger calibres is clearly very expensive.
Ovenpaa

Re: 50BMG and other exotics

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Closest I have got is shooting .338 Lap a couple of times and found the last one uncomfortable to shoot as my contact lenses were bouncing with every shot. Six quid a round for the Lapua match made it even less tempting :o
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

You've got to love 50 + cals, I regularly shoot my Sniders in .577", Swedish Rolling Block in 12.7mm and got my Tabatiere started last year in 18 mm. :D

I've also got some Trapdoor variants in 50 cal but I haven't had them smoking in years.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

18mm FFS!

Got any pictures? ;)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#5 Post by Dangermouse »

I would like to show you a picture of my FOUR .50 Cal's

Unfortunately I can not - these 4 belong to an American pen friend who loves them, so much so that when I last wrote to him he was having a fifth made for his wife!

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Christel
Site Admin

#6 Post by Christel »

Wow.
:mrgreen:
Robin128

#7 Post by Robin128 »

Can be shot at Sennibridge, Brecon...

http://www.offasrifleclub.com/
TobyH

#8 Post by TobyH »

And Lydd in kent. Had my first go with one down there, not something I would be doing very often!

Worst was being next to .50cal shooters with muzzle breaks. Actually gave me a headache after an hour.

.338 isn't too bad, the last one I shot had a moderator which makes alot of difference. No worse than shooting a standard .308.
"Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down." - Dick Sharples
Robin128

#9 Post by Robin128 »

I got complaints when I first started using a brake on my 308win.

Now, I warn people nearby and get RCO permission.

I usually use a T8 moderator these days...suprisingly just as easy on the old bones too.

;)
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

TobyH wrote:.338 isn't too bad, the last one I shot had a moderator which makes alot of difference. No worse than shooting a standard .308.
Mmm... the last one I shot was a TRG42 with the skeleton stock and Danish Army issue Lapua ammunition, even with a muzzle brake I was getting smacked around. I would dearly have liked to have tried the issue RUAG stuff but I don’t mix with the right people.

I shot a different .338 a couple of days before with civilian ammunition and no muzzle brake and it was not hitting anywhere near as hard... and was not as accurate either (For me) from the same firing point.
/d

Shed Journal