Quizzed on applying for SGC when also applying for S1 on FAC

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

Re: Quizzed on applying for SGC when also applying for S1 on

#11 Post by channel12 »

I got asked where I was going to shoot the shotgun ie on what land, when I applied for my SGC. In my case it was so I could buy a smooth bore muzzle loader for the club BP comps and that was ok.
Morph
Home club or Range: WRPC

#12 Post by Morph »

I thought the main reason would be "To be able to purchase shotgun cartridges"
If I only had my FAC I could only use slugs as they are on my ticket but as my Sect 1 Shotgun is also conditioned for clay pigeon shooting, would anyone sell me clay or game cartridges with an FAC that has no conditions to acquire or keep them?
I am quite certain that the argument you've already won in your head was entirely more satisfying to you than the one that is actually occurring.

Member of WR&PC,BASC & UBC
Blackstuff

#13 Post by Blackstuff »

Morph wrote:I thought the main reason would be "To be able to purchase shotgun cartridges"
If I only had my FAC I could only use slugs as they are on my ticket but as my Sect 1 Shotgun is also conditioned for clay pigeon shooting, would anyone sell me clay or game cartridges with an FAC that has no conditions to acquire or keep them?
Yes you can buy shotgun cartridges if you only have an FAC. Its in the Police Guidance for Firearms Licensing 2002 but i can't be bothered to look for it :grin:
DVC
Mikaveli
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#14 Post by Mikaveli »

Blackstuff wrote:
Morph wrote:I thought the main reason would be "To be able to purchase shotgun cartridges"
Yes you can buy shotgun cartridges if you only have an FAC. Its in the Police Guidance for Firearms Licensing 2002 but i can't be bothered to look for it :grin:
That's also what my FEO said. I just don't know anyone with a slot for an S1 shotgun that doesn't also have a SGC.
Blackstuff

#15 Post by Blackstuff »

BaconButty wrote:Just heard about someone getting asked for some indepth reasons why he's applied for his SGC, when he also has S1 shot on his FAC app. Along the lines of "why apply for SGC when FAC covers it?"

In tht situation what would your answers be?
If you wanted to be helpful the answers have already been given

- game shooting cannot be done with S1 shotguns
- some clay clubs are snooty and don't let you use S1 guns
- O/U SbS are better tools for the job in some circumstances

If you wanted to be a bit @r$ey/to the letter of the law just ask what proof he has that you are a threat to public safety/peace. Remember with an SGC the onus is up to them to prove why you can't have an SGC.

N.B. I wouldn't recommend this approach unless they are being massively unreasonable with you. Its far easier just to rub along with the system tesnews
DVC
Blackstuff

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

Mikaveli wrote: That's also what my FEO said. I just don't know anyone with a slot for an S1 shotgun that doesn't also have a SGC.
I did for 2 years :grin:
DVC
paxtond

#17 Post by paxtond »

i have a SGC and a slot for a section 1 shotgun, my flo had no issues.

even said to me do you think 100 slugs are enough? I'm sure you will burn though that many in a few hours and there expensive your better off buying in bulk and stuck me down for 500 :good:
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#18 Post by IainWR »

It's not only in the Guidance, it's law. S5 Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988:

5 Restriction on sale of ammunition for smooth-bore guns.

(1)This section applies to ammunition to which section 1 of the principal Act does not apply and which is capable of being used in a shot gun or in a smooth-bore gun to which that section applies.

(2)It is an offence for a person to sell any such ammunition to another person in the United Kingdom who is neither a registered firearms dealer nor a person who sells such ammunition by way of trade or business unless that other person—

(a)produces a certificate authorising him to possess a gun of a kind mentioned in subsection (1) above; or

Seems clear enough to me.

By the way, where / how / why is it illegal to shoot game with a S1 shotgun?
BaconButty
Home club or Range: ARPC

#19 Post by BaconButty »

Thanks for all the replies. If I happen to get the same FLO I will be fore-armed with answers ;) (hoping to get the phone call any day now)