Not a nice surprise this morning

Moderator: dromia

Robin128

Re: Not a nice surprise this morning

#31 Post by Robin128 »

The last huge bank I worked for captured all of its motor finance business from its websites.

Looked up Ddos..well perhaps our service provider is not so well protected. We never had attacks like this that got anywhere near customer service etc.

On the assumption that our website name is transferable can we shift to a more reliable service provider? I suspect cost has something to do with it. In which case some advertising revenue could help fund the outlay?

Just some thoughts.

By definition I am being denied the upload functionality in line with Ddos objectives.

I suspect you have had these thoughts already.

Still will not attach a jpg.

Rob
Robin128

#32 Post by Robin128 »

Robin128

#33 Post by Robin128 »

And some more on Ddos...

Norton was a problem once...

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/d ... -ten-years

rob
Ovenpaa

#34 Post by Ovenpaa »

Still will not attach a jpg.

Rob[/quote]

dDOS attacks are normally dealt with by throttling back the connection rate and then auditing the logs for rogue IP's and blocking them. Easy enough to say however when you get 10,000 machines connecting at the same time and doing stuff dealing with it can be a problem. dDOS attacks can be both deliberate or accidental and also used to 'focus' customers on occasion.

The site name is UK registered and US hosted so we can easily move to a new post, we run backups of the forum structure on a daily basis however our concern is how easily the forum itself would move, more to the point could it stand a third start if for any reason we cannot move the data itself (Posts, images etc)

Cost is not such a consideration as the forum is a labour of love for Christel that comes off the back of me cursing the loss of the GD section at another forum. Christel has talked about getting some of the bigger shops on board at some point with the intention of setting up a discount system for forum members. Typically go to ABC and use this OEM code XYZ and get 10% discount and in return they could have a logo on the forum. I support on this subject, it is good if we can give the forum members both somewhere to discuss shooting and non shooting issues and get some discount at the same time. Right now it is not an option to go to someone when we have under 50 users but with luck the site will grow :)

No idea why you cannot post your .jpg rigth now, have you ever been able to post .jpgs or has it only been image links to date?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#35 Post by Ovenpaa »

dDOS (deliberate denial of service) attacks have been around for years, in my day it was fire a malformed packet of data to a site, measure the time to reply and fire another one off just before the receiving the reply, this way you could control the level of inconvenience. Normally a restart of the remote site was enough to over come the issue and they normally got wise and blocked your IP and/or MAC address.

Accidental included a friend of mine who yes did have a darker background however when she mailed a picture of herself to one of the night shift techies at AT&T little did she realise it would take a significant lump of the network out and make headlines the next day. As far as I know he/she were never caught and I have long since lost contact with her.

A couple of years ago one of our arrays for spam and malware filtering was all but taken out for an hour after a German customer ran an email campaign and sent out over 6 million emails with malformed addresses so the majority were bounced back on us in seconds. Unusual to have our own customers DOS'ing is but not unheard of.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#36 Post by Robin128 »

Yes I have put up a jpg...from what you are explaining...do you think I have been blocked?

Rob
Ovenpaa

#37 Post by Ovenpaa »

Robin128 wrote:Yes I have put up a jpg...from what you are explaining...do you think I have been blocked?

Rob
Not at our end, is your machine locking you out possibly? what I do is select 'Browse', choose the .jpg > 'Add the file', it shows the upload dialogue in a separate window and when it is uploaded select 'Place inline' or leave it as is.

At what point does your upload fall over?
/d

Shed Journal
Robin128

#38 Post by Robin128 »

Right I think I've got it...what's the max size picture I can upload directly????

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Rob
Attachments
Airline-software.jpg
Ovenpaa

#39 Post by Ovenpaa »

2 Megs as far as I know with a forum limit of 500Megs, both these can be changed by Christel in the ACP
/d

Shed Journal
Robin128

#40 Post by Robin128 »

Check for sure...I think its more like 50Kb!

Rob