Scopes restricted for export from US?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blu

Re: Scopes restricted for export from US?

#11 Post by Blu »

paxtond wrote:Or speak to one of the friendly dealers and ask they to change the rectile picture on the box, a few friends have all orderd from the USA and as long as it doesn't have a mil spec rectile they are happy
I may stand corrected but I believe you to be wrong about that. Leupold for instance won't ship any of their scopes abroad and as far as I am aware the choice of reticle is not a factor, as far as I know an export licence is required for all rifle scopes coming out of the US otherwise I'd have been making a small fortune for a while now.

Blu :twisted:
gab
Home club or Range: Nanaimo Fish and Game; Parksville-Qualicum Fish and Game

#12 Post by gab »

Unfortunately, all gun scopes coming from the USA require an export permit from the US government and an import permit from the country the scope is being shipped to. This came into effect after 9/11 and passing of the Patriot Act. Some private American sellers are not familiar with the law and may ship them out of the country; however, they risk prosecution if caught.

Even while visiting the USA you can't legally buy a scope. US Customs sometimes sets-up roadblocks a few yards from the Canadian border and check to see what goods visitors are taking out of the country. Any firearms, ammunition, scopes or gun parts can result in the loss of your vehicle and charges. Also, US agents are known to frequent US gun shows near the US/Canadian border, noting Canadian licence plates and forwarding the information to US Customs. The Canadian government isn't concerned about the importantion of scopes, ammunition and reloading components. If you make it to the Canadian border you are safe, but it is not worth the risk in my opinion. I don't understand the rationale for these restrictions, Canada is an ally of the USA and fought along side with US troops in Afganistan.
phaedra1106

#13 Post by phaedra1106 »

gab wrote:"Unfortunately, all gun scopes coming from the USA require an export permit from the US government and an import permit from the country the scope is being shipped to" "Even while visiting the USA you can't legally buy a scope".
I'm sorry but that is incorrect. ITAR (part 121 US Munitions List) only applies to "Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications", see Section I Firearms (b).

Ordinary riflescopes are not affected and can be both legally bought and exported without a license.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
gab
Home club or Range: Nanaimo Fish and Game; Parksville-Qualicum Fish and Game

#14 Post by gab »

I was not able to determine exactly what is meant by "Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications" when I did a search of the legislation. For me it is a non-issue. Most Customs agents are not well versed in scopes or firearms in general. When visiting the USA, I will not purchase any scopes or firarm related materials. I don't want to risk any problems with US Customs or Homeland Security.
phaedra1106

#15 Post by phaedra1106 »

The general ruling is for scopes with any form of image enhancement (ie nightvision) or laser rangefinders. Originally the term "Mil Dot" was thought to be included but that's not the case.

The BATF are responsible for implementing ITAR and in my experience on the two occasions I've rang and spoken to them been completely hopeless, they even referred my to the TSA who's only concern is what's actually in your luggage not whether or not you have a license for it.

I have had no problems bringing a huge amount of shooting related equipment (mainly reloading components) back from the US since 911, the last scope I brought back was an 8-32 Mil Dot Sightron, the TSA opened and inspected it and had no problem with it. I've found most of the TSA staff to be very friendly and knowledgeable when dealing with shooting related matters, most of the ones I've ever talked to have been fellow shooters and are fascinated (if not appalled!) by tales of our wonderful firearms licensing system here in the UK!.
TJC
Home club or Range: Bisley

#16 Post by TJC »

I go back and forth with a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 all the time. I always get customs to 'sign me in' with it when I arrive just so that I don't ever have a problem when I leave but having said that I've never once been asked to prove I brought it into the country vs bought it whilst there and TSA have always been very helpful and supportive.
TRX
Home club or Range: Arkansas, USA

#17 Post by TRX »

ITAR was originally set up to license the export of military weapons like planes, helicopters, avionics systems, artillery, etc.

Then an Executive Order expanded it to cover basically anything that a military force *might* use. Things like socks, bottled water, nerve gas, toilet paper, atomic bombs, ballpoint pens... anything at all, really. And ITAR makes their decisions on the fly; there's no complete list of what they might regulate. They're an autonomous body, empowered to make and enforce regulations without oversight.

Any business that manufactures anything that's covered by ITAR is required to pay US$2,250 to have their company "listed" by ITAR. That's per year. It's essentially a hidden tax, just for being in business. The fine for failing to comply with ITAR regulations (even though you can't know exactly what they are) is US$500,000.

ITAR seems to exist primarily as a revenue source.

I had a little hobby sideline making AK parts until ITAR started going after gunsmiths and parts suppliers. I never made enough in a year to pay them off, so I shut it down.
Junge

#18 Post by Junge »

I bought a copy of a German ww2 ZF 4 scope from the USA and it broke after a week I see in this thread it is ok to import but is it ok to send it back from uk to USA just asking to make sure

Robert
phaedra1106

#19 Post by phaedra1106 »

Nothing to do with the reticle type, it's a common misconception.

I've brought mil-dot, mil-hash etc. scopes back that have been bought without problems. Only thing I have had to do a couple of times is complete a US Gov declaration to the seller (Optics Planet) as to where it's going. It's the intended target market that matters. Certain scopes are made primarily for the military or police/swat use or high end opticals like Eotech or Trijicon who have non-export restrictions on certain products.

As I said before unfortunately there isn't a list available for the public to check on.
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#20 Post by Mattnall »

paxtond wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:07 am Or speak to one of the friendly dealers and ask they to change the rectile picture on the box, a few friends have all orderd from the USA and as long as it doesn't have a mil spec rectile they are happy
If this changes the description of the actual contents this request could be seen as wire-fraud and if so is a felony I believe.

DO NOT ask someone to misrepresent an item in order to get it past any legislation or reduce any fees payable, it can get you in to a lot of trouble.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.