Do you use the safety on your rifle?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Chuck

Re: Do you use the safety on your rifle?

#11 Post by Chuck »

Barney, depends on what your training is and what you do. I cannot afford to slip into "range mentality" and automatically apply a safety as I always train on hot ranges where safeties on PDW's are NOT a good idea. For that reason I do not use them. Obviously this is not the case here in the UK and for range use but chances are you will go to take a shot......and find the safety on, a disaster when demo-ing to students..

If you look at the rules used on UK ranges, weapons are empty and clear(ed) more often that loaded...Since we do NOT take loaded firearms off the line why worry about a safety, we do not carry loaded shotguns to clay shoots so same again. It's as quick and safer to unload than apply a safety. I know that when it is empty it will not go bang, I wonder how many times someone has been told "It's OK the safety is o.........................oh fk!"

For that reason I ALWAYS work without them, as I said I assume the gun IS always loaded so where's the issue. As Sandgroper mentioned too, on stoppages on range, it's mag out, clear fault, reload. On finishing it's mag out, rack slide, work bolt and/or remove same AND do visual and finger check....But, I do use the safety when I sling a weapon such as a shotgun /rifle when changing targets or laying it down.

As an aside, I don't know what the police / military SOP is for carrying pistols /rifles here in the UK., I train with round chambered, hammer down and NO safty used. One force I trained with recently carry NO round chambered and safety ON..too many steps when they need it in a hurry.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
barney57

#12 Post by barney57 »

well I think I will stick with my training and what I do Chuck,,,thanks all the same,,,of course all guns must be treated as loaded,,,,I carry a loaded weapon everday,,,loaded not cocked,,,safety on or off is a split second thing to do with one hand/finger even,,,as you cock the weapon.. House/room clearing is a different thing as is CQB,,,BUT IN NORMAL SITUATIONS AND ON THE RANGE IT'S safety, safety safety,,
I consider myself a safe gun...
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

Cede Nullis (Yield to None)
Kernow Bys Vyken (Cornwall for ever)
Chuck

#13 Post by Chuck »

Same here.. :D :D
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Robin128

#14 Post by Robin128 »

Apart from hunting...the most use given to my safeties in on the semi.

With my O/U its just as easy to brake the gun...that way no-one has any doubt...comfort factor for user and spectator. More than a few secs and the cartridges are out and in my pocket.

I DO NOT BRING SNAP CAPS ONTO THE RANGE!

:)
barney57

#15 Post by barney57 »

Robin128 wrote:Apart from hunting...the most use given to my safeties in on the semi.

With my O/U its just as easy to brake the gun...that way no-one has any doubt...comfort factor for user and spectator. More than a few secs and the cartridges are out and in my pocket.

I DO NOT BRING SNAP CAPS ONTO THE RANGE!

:)
My snap caps stay in the sleave in the car,,,,when we move, we break guns, and unload,,,,wouldnt be the first time someone has fallen over especialy on rough ground,,with cartridges in an open gun, guns shuts and goes off!!! not worth the chance,,,,,safety, safety, safety...
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

Cede Nullis (Yield to None)
Kernow Bys Vyken (Cornwall for ever)
Sim G

#16 Post by Sim G »

Chuck wrote:I cannot afford to slip into "range mentality" and automatically apply a safety as I always train on hot ranges where safeties on PDW's are NOT a good idea. For that reason I do not use them. Obviously this is not the case here in the UK and for range use but chances are you will go to take a shot......and find the safety on, a disaster when demo-ing to students..
There is of course the argument that safetys on PDWs are actually a good thing, especially in regards to weapon retention. I know that Massad Ayoob subscribes to the theory and has collected data where individuals, police and private citizens were disarmed by an aggressor. Revolvers and "safe action" pistols, the perp had no problem shooting his victim with their own gun. However, there are a number of people alive today because the perp couldn't work their safety......

We carried made ready, round chambered, hammer cocked, safety on. Likewise, support weapons made ready, safety on.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Chuck

#17 Post by Chuck »

Yet Chuck Taylor works otherwise, he reckons they get you killed, especially where civvies and others who do NOT practice enough amongst other things are concerned. It's obviously a good debating point on range and forum.

I turned up one day with a nice we SERPA Blackhawk job (the one with the finger lock, which you trip when drawing the pistol) when I was shooting his Beretta 92. He clocked it and just smiled knowingly (cos I had been using an Uncle Mike friction grip previously) .. "You'll remove that in a short while" he drawled with a huge grin on his face he watched me dry practice.

Sure enough all was OK most of the day, THEN when we started into seriious complex hi speed stuff with lots of stress and confusion I got a couple of "wedgies" as the holster and gun came up together...Grrr. Bad draws and hands up due to stoppages are NOT allowed...you got it you fix it.

A big "CHUCK" laugh followed by "I told you so"! Yep, next day I was "sans lock".
Scotsgun

#18 Post by Scotsgun »

Yes,

I use safeties on each and every rifle, shotgun, etc. I do it for two reasons:

1. A guy shot himself whist we were in NI. He did it because he 'assumed' the pistol was empty and that the safety was not engaged. It made a hell of a mess. Bloody old knackered, Browning Hi-Powers. Never could understand what was so hi-powered about them. You could shake them in the air and they're rattle - literally!

2. As my old training Sgt, Sgt Ferguson would drill into us - it's another control mechanism. You took that man seriously. If he caught you with the safety off, he'd likely promptly kick you in the bollox and then RTU you before you could blink.