Looking to start practical shotgun

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

CDM5
Home club or Range: Tidworth RPC & Bisley

Looking to start practical shotgun

#1 Post by CDM5 »

Hi all,

Well I've had my FAC for nearly a month now & I've already filled 3 slots :grin:

Just bought a 5+1 Mossberg 500 today.

What are the basic necessities for starting practical shotgun?

Sling? Larger magazine tube? Etc

Thanks
techguy

Re: Looking to start practical shotgun

#2 Post by techguy »

No sling, larger magazine tube (capacity of 9+1 is common), ammo belt - I recommend the chameleon load 2 type, and lots of ammo! You can shoot with the capacity you have, you'll just reload more often!

Where are you going to be shooting PSG? Salisbury is about an hour away from Shield shooting centre in Dorset which is a great range. Salisbury is also about an hour away from Romsey shooting club in Basingstoke.

Have you seen the four4island forum? (am I allowed to post the link?) they shoot at many different places around the country and there's some very knowledgeable people on there.

Warm/waterproof clothes and sturdy footwear are also a necessity, as well as your usual range safety gear.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'm still fairly new to it (been shooting it since about May this year) and I *love* it!
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#3 Post by saddler »

Can the 500 magazine be extended? I thought it was one of the Mossberg with a lug on the barrel where the mag. tube ends?

No sling as has been said...

For ammo carry, look at the California Comp Works +4 or +6 carriers
Prodec belts/clips are also good

&

IF you want to save money in the long term, look at making your own slug & buckshot (ONLY do slug IF you have it on your FAC, of course)
techguy

#4 Post by techguy »

The only thing with the california comp works carriers and similar is that it is a fairly difficult (and slow) learning process. The load 2 method is really easy and quick.

Once you have the technique sorted, its a quick loading method, but the learning curve is steep. Best thing is to try out both :)

With the mag extension, I think it depends which version you have. Can you post a pic?
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#5 Post by dodgyrog »

Join the UKPSA and do their training course
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
CDM5
Home club or Range: Tidworth RPC & Bisley

#6 Post by CDM5 »

techguy wrote:The only thing with the california comp works carriers and similar is that it is a fairly difficult (and slow) learning process. The load 2 method is really easy and quick.

Once you have the technique sorted, its a quick loading method, but the learning curve is steep. Best thing is to try out both :)

With the mag extension, I think it depends which version you have. Can you post a pic?
Thanks for the replies so far.

This is the one I've bought.
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sal ... 6211852466
dodgyrog wrote:Join the UKPSA and do their training course
I'm hoping to do the practical shotgun course with a few people from my rifle club.
saddler wrote:Can the 500 magazine be extended? I thought it was one of the Mossberg with a lug on the barrel where the mag. tube ends?

No sling as has been said...

For ammo carry, look at the California Comp Works +4 or +6 carriers
Prodec belts/clips are also good

&

IF you want to save money in the long term, look at making your own slug & buckshot (ONLY do slug IF you have it on your FAC, of course)
Thanks, I'll look into a carrier & yes I have slug down on my FAC :good:

Where's a good place to source a magazine extension tube in the UK? Looked at importing one from the US but it seems like a lot of trouble.

What about sights? I could never get on with a bead in the past.
Blackstuff

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

From a quick google on the 500 it looks like the magazine isn't extendable :bad: I thought 2 lads i shoot with have them but they have 590's and they came with longer magazine already attached. It would appear that you have to get 'The Persauder' magazine AND barrel fitted kukkuk

Unfortunately if you were restricted to 5+1 (or anything less than 9+1 for that matter) you simply couldn't be competitive. My suggestion is take it back while you're still in the 'cooling off period' and buy a 590, Remmy 870 or Benelli Supernova.

Sorry i couldn't help you out :cry:
DVC
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#8 Post by saddler »

You can import non-restricted gun parts up to $100 in value from Brownells
Look at options for Nordic magazine extensions from them - you WILL pay a premium for a UK supplier to do it for you

Ribbed barrels can have Tru-Glo "sights" added - you may be able to find a rifle sighted Mossberg barrel if you get lucky
Other than that, look at the XS Sights "Big Dot" option or find a set of rifle sights from another Mossberg model & add them (the 590 Ghost Rings sights are nice)
techguy

#9 Post by techguy »

dodgyrog wrote:Join the UKPSA and do their training course
Totally not necessary. There's more PSG matches going on outside the UKPSA than in it.

Being a member of the UKPSA is also no longer a requirement for most forces for a S1 shotgun for PSG.

Each to their own of course :)
techguy

#10 Post by techguy »

Oh, and the UKPSA shotgun safety course is good if you're new to PSG. But nothing you can't learn if you join a practical club (shield and romsey are reasonably close to you as previously mentioned)