Offensive weapons act 2019 debacle

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G

Re: Offensive weapons act 2019 debacle

#71 Post by Sim G »

Try it.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#72 Post by mr smith »

Polchraine wrote:What does "optical rifle scope" actually mean?

I have an old 4x20 damaged too, and never used on a rifle. Can I surrender it and claim the £160?
Only if you can only use it on a now prohibited firearm,if it can be used on a non prohibited firearm then no unfortunately.
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#73 Post by mr smith »

DanTheMan wrote:Mate handed his in yesterday, he had to point out the upgrade parts (on the rifle i.e. iron sights/trigger) to the desk officer and they took photos and emailed that along with his compensation form to the HO. Today the HO emailed him saying it's been approved and payment will be made shortly.
I had the match trigger as part of my 9mm build so I'll be claiming for that.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#74 Post by Blackstuff »

Sim G wrote:
Blackstuff wrote:(d) a valuation from a registered firearms dealer in the case of a firearm

Doesn't that mean an RFD can't value ancillary equipment, only the firearm itself? Or just in the cases of the firearms section, an RFD can provide a valuation?? Whoever wrote this and the guidance needs a pay cut!

It would be my opinion and in my previous experience, an RFD could value the lot. There is a tendency to overthink these things. The SI states "in the case of a firearm", you can claim for the firearm ancillary equipment, so claim it. The minutia will be valued by the RFD as the Home Office can't possibly list everything. That was the same situation as with proper self loading rifle and handguns.

Likewise, if your ancillary equipment fits on the gun, fit it to the the gun. That "increases" its value, does it not? And it can be also said, despite the attraction of such a thing, don't spray it pink of bend the barrel, as that plainly, would devalue it. Just a thought...

Carefully constructed presentations and valuations may see you being recompensed very closely to what you paid out. Cold comfort, but comfort none the less.
The rifle will be going in as basic as I can get it and i'll be accepting the standard amount for it, no need to get the gun valued or try to claim extra for it.

All of the ancillary equipment will be separate to the gun and claimed for separately. I couldn't fit it all on the gun without buying more accessory rails for a 'Mal Ninja' style effort, plus gaffer taping 18 magazines together might be a bit of a challenge too... lol
DVC
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#75 Post by Blackstuff »

I asked the HO a few questions, here's the answers if they'll help people;

1/ Do firearms have to be in full working order i.e. capable of being fired or just in a condition that they are safe and can be shown to be empty of ammunition

The item must still be a firearm and capable of being fired, but when surrendered it must be in a safe and empty condition.

2/ Do they have to be entirely complete i.e. all ancillary parts attached (e.g. handguard, pistol grip, buffer tube etc), or do only the licensable parts need to be handed in i.e. the barrel, body, receiver(s) and bolt?

Where possible and practicable the ancillary parts should be attached, but if you have other licensable parts/equipment, then these can be surrendered and compensation claimed at the same time.

3/ If all parts are required, does the gun have to handed in, in an assembled condition?

The firearm should not be disassembled, but be in a safe and empty condition.

4/ Are receipts/proof of purchase required for ancillary equipment under any circumstances, or only when a person wishes to claim for a higher amount that shown on the value list?

Receipts/proof of purchase are not required for ancillary equipment if you are claiming the standard value. If you wish to include them then you can but they are not essential. We would only require receipts/proof of purchase for any items of ancillary equipment where you were claiming for a higher amount shown on the values list.

No barrel bending then unfortunately :D but good news about the ancillary equipment! :good:
DVC
walesdave

#76 Post by walesdave »

mr smith wrote:

I have an old 4x20 damaged too, and never used on a rifle. Can I surrender it and claim the £160?
Only if you can only use it on a now prohibited firearm,if it can be used on a non prohibited firearm then no unfortunately.
What if you magic marker 'MARS Rifles Only' on it? :run:
Polchraine

#77 Post by Polchraine »

mr smith wrote:

I have a S5 that it can be used on ... not surrendering that though.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#78 Post by bradaz11 »

Polchraine wrote:
mr smith wrote:

I have a S5 that it can be used on ... not surrendering that though.
remember to include cheapest scope mounts you can find - £50
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#79 Post by Daryll »

walesdave wrote:
mr smith wrote:

What if you magic marker 'MARS Rifles Only' on it? :run:
Well if you have a knife with "Zombie Killer" written on the blade it magically becomes especially dangerous, so your plan should work.. :D
yellowhand

#80 Post by yellowhand »

What are the penalties for non compliance?
If anyone in the UK just says, no, I will not comply with these laws.