BREAKING: UK bans pigeon and crow shooting

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Ovenpaa

Re: BREAKING: UK bans pigeon and crow shooting

#61 Post by Ovenpaa »

The Woodcock club has been going for years. Personally I will never shoot one, I had one fly straight at me last shoot of the season, I just marvelled at the colours as they are quite vivid in flight. Equally, I will not shoot Snipe. I also avoid English Partridges. I spotted some Golden Plover yesterday, they are also game birds however again I have not, and never will shoot them.

The thing is, we all hold different views and goals when it comes to game shooting. I have shot alongside superb guns who have passed their gun to the stuffer as they feel they have had their fair share for the day, others will keep going until the whistle and then off down the pub without even a single brace. I reckon the Viking was breasting out game birds virtually every day of the last week or so of the season and I am working my way through them :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#62 Post by Mike95 »

Soon need a license to swat flies...

Mike95
Pete
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#63 Post by Pete »

Hope the lead doesn't get you.............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Geek
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#64 Post by Geek »

Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Plecotus
Home club or Range: Monmmouth & District Rifle Club, NRA, Chepstow Rifle Club

#65 Post by Plecotus »

[quote="Ovenpaa"]The Woodcock club has been going for years.

/quote]

So has the deline in the distribution and abundance of the species.
Fedaykin

#66 Post by Fedaykin »

MistAgain wrote:I lost count of the number of Ministries that would be created .
Agreed, many of which with overlapping remits that would undoubtedly get into absurd turf wars over who has responsibility! It is a charter for costly bureaucratic chaos!

How in the name of Zardoz do they propose to enforce the rule requiring all new garden fences to have Hedgehog holes for example?!

It also barely seems to understand that a large number of the proposed ministries would need to be duplicated in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland at even more cost and bureaucracy as they are devolved responsibilities!

It is indeed a Zealots charter!
Ovenpaa

#67 Post by Ovenpaa »

Plecotus wrote:So has the deline in the distribution and abundance of the species.
Markedly so and not just the Woodcock, there are certainly UK species of birds higher up on the list than the Woodcock. Lapwings are in serious decline and they are not even being shot at, having said that modern farming methods are not helping nor are land based predators, although I did see a significant flock of lapwings fly over just to the south east of Louth a few weeks ago, we all agreed we had never seen so many Lapwings in the air at one time. Sparrows and even Starlings are all suffering and that is before even considering UK mammals.

At the other end of the scale there has been a huge increase in the numbers of Buzzards and Red Tailed Kites over the last few years. Personally I like to see Buzzards on the wing or in the case of around here, usually sitting on the top of a hedgerow. I am not so keen on Kites. Regardless of what people say about Fox or Badger, numbers are on the increase. We stood on the edge of a field the day the Lapwings came over and the person with us pointed out the locations of 11 Badger sets within sight of eye.

Curlews, I see them maybe only 2-3 times a month now, in fact I see more Marsh Harriers than Curlews. I could go on....
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
GeeRam

#68 Post by GeeRam »

Ovenpaa wrote:Sparrows and even Starlings are all suffering and that is before even considering UK mammals.
Back when I was growing up here in the West London suburbs in the 60's and 70's, our garden used to full of sparrows, finches, starlings and blackbirds, and of course pigeons.
Pretty much completely disappeared now.
Only birds seen now in the area in any mass are pigeons, magpie's, gulls and crows.
Ovenpaa wrote: At the other end of the scale there has been a huge increase in the numbers of Buzzards and Red Tailed Kites over the last few years.
That has been very noticeable.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#69 Post by dromia »

If you get a corncrake on your ground you can retire on the subsidies.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#70 Post by Strangely Brown »

Ovenpaa wrote:The Woodcock club has been going for years. Personally I will never shoot one, I had one fly straight at me last shoot of the season, I just marvelled at the colours as they are quite vivid in flight. Equally, I will not shoot Snipe.
A couple of years ago I saw two snipe take off from the marshy pond in front of the mantlet on Century range at Bisley.
Mick