So, what alternative .22LR auto ?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: So, what alternative .22LR auto ?

#51 Post by meles meles »

WEll, when it comes to a tacticool rifle, it's looking like a choice between the Sig and the Pietta, maybe backed up with a Browning take down and a CZ 452
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
meles meles

#52 Post by meles meles »

and we forgot to include the Anschutz 520 and Walther G22...
Badger
Badger Korporashun

Porcupine

#53 Post by Porcupine »

Unless you particularly like the look or the half-pistol-grip on the Pietta, I'd go with the SIG. You can get drum magazines for it just like the PPS-50, but it's much easier to add accessories. However, the folding stock is a piece of junk (it wiggles a little in the open position, only locks in the closed position when fully extended, and when you open it, the female latch part gets ripped out of the receiver :clap:) so you'll may well want to get an AR stock adapter which is made of aluminium instead of plastic (like the SIG folding part) and includes a new latch button giving more solid lock up in the open position. You can then fit an AR stock of your choice. You lose the ability to lock it in the folded position (though you can still fold it for storage and you could just put a rubber band round it if you wanted to shoot it like a pistol without it flapping around) but since that feature doesn't work properly on the factory stock the added rigidity in the open position is worth it IMO.
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#54 Post by M99 »

Badger,

Where are you? - if you are not a million miles away you are more than welcome to some hands on time with my Sig on my ground.

Mike
Dr. Strangelove

#55 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

How about something completely different....

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/110702140902001
Ovenpaa

#56 Post by Ovenpaa »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:How about something completely different....

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/110702140902001

This reminds me, I read an article not so long ago about someone who was taking a 10/22 action, trigger and barrel and fitting them into airsoft bodies, he was doing a good job as well and was ending up with all sorts of interesting replica firearms with the 10/22 inside. He pointed out that the quality of some of the airsoft things was every bit as good as the original and they were faithful reproductions at a very good price. He was even selling the bits he did not need on eBlag. :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dr. Strangelove

#57 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

That could make for some interesting designs!
meles meles

#58 Post by meles meles »

This is getting very exciting - and bewildering - for us small brained types. If the Pietta is as accurate as many say then that is a very good point in its favour. I like the look of it too. I'm not so sure about the looks of the SIg but it seems very reliable: the two remain firmly on the list ! A 10/22 in wolf's clothing definitely has possibilities too...
Badger
Badger Korporashun

pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#59 Post by pe4king »

meles meles wrote:A 10/22 in wolf's clothing definitely has possibilities too...
I have seen an MG 42 kit for a 10/22 now that would be interesting
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#60 Post by pe4king »

pe4king wrote:
meles meles wrote:A 10/22 in wolf's clothing definitely has possibilities too...
I have seen an MG 42 kit for a 10/22 now that would be interesting
Found one http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/r ... x?a=180441
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.