Powder dispensers?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Powder dispensers?

#51 Post by dromia »

The gift thing doesn't work as it only goes up to the duty free amount and then you pay the VAT and duty based on the value declared plus the postage. Its the £8 to parcel force for them not to deliver your package that really gets my goat. You pay the £8 regardless of the value it a flat rate jobby so if you only get hit for ten bob you still have to pay the 8 quid.

I get a lot of stuff from the states and the strike rate is one parcel in three getting captured so you were unlucky.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Robin128

#52 Post by Robin128 »

Heather,

You owe him!

:D

Rob
Blu

#53 Post by Blu »

Dromia, fecking ripoff or what? My family has been sending stuff over here for years and we have never had to pay any BS tax or delivery tax on it.

Blu :twisted:
Dangermouse

#54 Post by Dangermouse »

An article about how to speed up your scales (they go fast enough for me already)!

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... ster-1500/

DM
Ovenpaa

#55 Post by Ovenpaa »

DM do you know if your machine has the same software as the CM? I am convinced it is the same machine in a different wrapper..
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#56 Post by Dangermouse »

Not sure, but would be amazed if they are not. The most obvious difference is that the RCBS unit is two part and the Hornady is an all in one unit.

DM
rox

#57 Post by rox »

HeatherW762 wrote:I know I'm a tad late on this post but my hubby just bought me a Lyman 1200DPS3 for Christmas and I'm over the moon about it. Lovely piece of kit and although I'm waiting for the rest of the kit (see next post) I have played with it and it's amazingly accurate.
What sort of cyclic time are you getting to deliver a charge on the Lyman?

For comparison, using a CM with tweaked parameters I get around 45gr of N140 dispensed approx every 23 secs - just longer than my cyclic seat-measure-box rate (single-stage).

Bob.
Ovenpaa

#58 Post by Ovenpaa »

Bob as you have increased the fast feed time do you get any kernel over spill? I have read of pushing a bit of McDonalds drinking straw in the very end of the feed tube to over come this however this means going to McDonalds! I have turned a very thin aluminium tube to fit in the end of mine but I am yet to fit it...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
rox

#59 Post by rox »

ovenpaa wrote:Bob as you have increased the fast feed time do you get any kernel over spill?
No worse than default settings. It's important not to increase the times at fast & mid speeds too much though - the powder needs to 'thin out' to prevent clumping at slow speed.
ovenpaa wrote: I have read of pushing a bit of McDonalds drinking straw in the very end of the feed tube to over come this however this means going to McDonalds!
I did manage to blag a McDonalds straw without having to buy anything from the 'restaurant', but still needed to wrap it in insulating tape to fit - maybe the Americans have fatter straws?

The worst problem I find is the drift of the scales. Comparing the charge variation over a short sequence of dispenses using super-duper £1000 scales (not mine) showed very good results, but I'm fairly sure the scales have drifted after as little as 50 dispenses or so (even after a 3 hour warm-up). The decision becomes whether to recal and rezero every box, and effectively consider each box of 50 as a separate batch, or allow it to drift gradually and be sure to use the rounds and boxes in sequence.

Another annoyance is that in the very rare event of an overage it does nothing to alert you, just the same 'good beep' as normal. It seems necessary to wait until after the Dispense Count has finished displaying to see the live weight displayed for confirmation.

When I was loading significant quantities through this year it certainly kept me sane compared to throw and trickle every charge to a beam balance, and the resulting quality was certainly 'good enough for government work'. I will certainly be reluctant to return the CM to it's owner after being loaned one. I'd be interested to see any reviews of the dispenser from SmartReloader – it seems to be the latest 'me too' clone, and probably the cheapest available in Uroland, though being a compulsive fiddler I would miss the (limited) tuning capabilities of the CM.

Bob.
Ovenpaa

#60 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have known the wife to switch ours on the night before to make sure it is fully 'warmed' up. she also levels it and keeps it on a very firm surface and calibrates every time it is used but does not have to zero during batches. We also make sure you have no mobile phone chargers in the same area. She throws and then lets it check again and discards it if not correct.

We have tried everything from good electronics to reloading beams to precision milligram beams to the CM and for me the best option is walk away and let Christel do it. The only time I get truly involved is with faster or ball powders when I can use my Harrel Premium culver type thrower.

EDIT - forgot to add I know of one person using a CM and uninterruptable power supply (UPS) and he tells me he has no issues at all.
/d

Shed Journal