So, what alternative .22LR auto ?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: So, what alternative .22LR auto ?

#41 Post by saddler »

I have a weakness for all things JMB - just a shame a good %age of them are not legal in most of the UK!

You've seen the .22 FN Auto
Also got:
An FN Trombone .22
a couple of Auto-5's
an Ithaca 37 (with a couple more pending, one in 16-bore)
Win. 97 pump (2nd year of production)

Dunno if you saw, JMB's house recently came up for sale & it was at a price well below a one-bed flat in the Home Counties!!
Would have been an excellent base for a museum/workshop/store
Porcupine

#42 Post by Porcupine »

Unless you particularly want an AR style gun, I'd go with the SIG over the S&W. I'll take an aluminum receiver over a plastic one any day - not just because it feels better, but the tolerances are so much better and I think that shines through in the SIG's ability to gobble up anything you feed it.

Some unusual suggestions I'd offer:

Thompson Center R55 - extremely accurate, extremely slick little .22, you'll be looking a long time before you find a more nicely made rimfire

The Erma M1 carbine look-a-like has been mentioned, but also consider the Marlin model 99 M1 carbine trainer.

I'd definitely recommend the Henry if you're open to a lever-action, and why not go with something really unique and get the Mare's Leg version...

CZ 511... It's a CZ

Remington Nylon 66 - the original plastic gun, oozing 50s nostalgia

Colt Lightning - Beautiful old pump gun from Connecticut

And of course, the Umarex/IWI Uzi:

Porcupine

#43 Post by Porcupine »

Oh, and although the AR7 is not a great rifle it is a quirky little conversation piece and I'd pick one up if I ever stumbled into a good deal.
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#44 Post by meles meles »

Some excellent suggestions there.

With regards the S&W versus Sig, I have no preference for one over the other in terms of design, it's just that most reviewers seem to consider the S&W to be the more reliable and better made. Given that the Sig is apparently made of aluminium that surprises me...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#45 Post by M99 »

meles meles wrote:Some excellent suggestions there.

With regards the S&W versus Sig, I have no preference for one over the other in terms of design, it's just that most reviewers seem to consider the S&W to be the more reliable and better made. Given that the Sig is apparently made of aluminium that surprises me...

I think you have been reading some odd reviews - it is undisputed that the Sig will feed and fire any ammo, even bulk - just look at some of the youtube reviews/comparisons. (Best to look at the independent reviews!)

I spent a lot of time going through the reviews prior to deciding between the two and eventually chose the Sig 522 SWAT version. I have no regrets with the Sig and it has never had any issues in the time I have had it. You do need to keep the BDM mags clean though.

The BDM mags are another bonus, they fit the Sig, so unlike the S&W you don't have limited choice and expensive mags to buy.

Only downside it doesn't come with open sights, not an issue if you wish to add a scope/red dot, but might be an issue for some.

Mike
meles meles

#46 Post by meles meles »

*moves the Sig up the list and wonders if there may be some special deals on offer at Newark...*
Badger
Badger Korporashun

Ovenpaa

#47 Post by Ovenpaa »

Special deals at Newark? Well some of them seemed to be doing plus 10% and more last year. :bad:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
meles meles

#48 Post by meles meles »

Anyone any comments about the Remington 597 VTR ? It looks the part but there seem to be very few reviews on it...
Badger
Badger Korporashun

Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#49 Post by Sandgroper »

“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Dangermouse

#50 Post by Dangermouse »

It looks OK, I would suggest that you look to see how easily it can be stripped as should your gun go down on the range you want to be able to get inside it to clear any foreign bodies away and clean or lubricate it as fast as possible with as little fuss as possible. Yo may (with the CRO's permission be doing this with everyone watching on, pointing your rifle down range or in the boot of your car between comps,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.