NRA membership department

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: NRA membership department

#31 Post by dromia »

Membership is increasing according to the NRA, however I suspect that the main attraction for new members is the Bisley offer rather than the National body offer. I'd like to see a current national breakdown of membership.

If that is the case then the NRA needs to be very careful that it doesn't just consolidate and expand its function as Bisley shooting club which is how it is perceived by many non Bisley shooters. For it to be a meaningful national body then its membership has to be from the wider full bore constituency and has to offer benefits and value other than the Bisley ranges.

From the posts on here from new NRA members they mainly seem to be Bisley shooters and all the improvements people are talking about are Bisley shooting experience centred.

An incomer reading about the NRA and its achievements would think that the NRA is only about shooting at Bisley. It has to be a lot more than that in my opinion and the the lack of a plan or vision about what that would be is what makes me think that it is ultimately aspiring to be no more than Bisley shooting ground. The NRA seems to be quiet happy with a southern England based membership rather than a truly national membership. Perhaps it doesn't see joiners as member any more but rather just customers.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#32 Post by Blackstuff »

Mike357 wrote:I think it has been explained elsewhere why it didn't appear on the NRA web site first. The UKPSA chose to go public, not anybody else.

That aside, I agree with your comments re the impact this may have and I hope the likes of CSR and F4i are able to operate as they have done. Perhaps we should look at this the other way round? Maybe once a competent governing body is in place we may see the NRA move to help develop new disciplines using existing facilities. I'm sure they will have more gravitas with the MOD than UKPSA. Let's wait and see.
I'd rather not 'wait and see' when the NRA have previously had no interest in practical shooting disciplines at all, if fact the they've displayed the exact opposite attitude towards them. This appears to be a one, or maybe three man crusade to destroy the UKPSA for entirely personal and political reasons and no evidence has been provided to the contrary (that i've seen anyway). I couldn't really care less whose initials are on the top of PSG competition forms but i've no desire to have to travel x hundreds of miles down South and pay far more for my membership fee ****
DVC
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#33 Post by the running man »

Like I said before, the nra all all nicey nicey on the surface, look behind the scenes and you will discover a lot of very dark goings on.....
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
nfrancis

#34 Post by nfrancis »

the running man wrote:Like I said before, the nra all all nicey nicey on the surface, look behind the scenes and you will discover a lot of very dark goings on.....
Like what??

The NRA are essentially its members. Anyone can join the NRA, anyone has the right to sit on General Council.

Anyone who thinks the NRA can represent shooting sports better can get involved to change things.
John MH

#35 Post by John MH »

I generally fully support the NRA and do challenge them when things are not done as well as they could be.

However, the official announcement today that they are applying to the International Practical Shooting Confederation for recognition as the administrative body for Great Britain in order to take over from the UKPSA, does concern me.

As a member I hope that we will be give the opportunity to vote on such as move.

Furthermore the announcement mentions CSR, when in fact, IPSC has absolutely nothing to do with it and hopefully never will.

This is a PSG issue and nothing more, to dress it up as anything else is in my opinion misleading.
karen

#36 Post by karen »

the running man wrote:Like I said before, the nra all all nicey nicey on the surface, look behind the scenes and you will discover a lot of very dark goings on.....
Sorry but you are talking crap - there are no "dark goings on".

As far as I recall you had a falling out with certain people because of negative things you wrote on here.

Don't slag off others who are working hard to make the shooting world a better place just because you made a mistake in the past.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#37 Post by dodgyrog »

nfrancis wrote:
Like what??

The NRA are essentially its members. Anyone can join the NRA, anyone has the right to sit on General Council.

Anyone who thinks the NRA can represent shooting sports better can get involved to change things.
Are you kidding!!!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#38 Post by dodgyrog »

karen wrote:

As far as I recall you had a falling out with certain people because of negative things you wrote on here.

Don't slag off others who are working hard to make the shooting world a better place just because you made a mistake in the past.
Sorry, Karen, but I don't see them representing me in any significant way.
The NRA have had my money for a while but enough is enough.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
karen

#39 Post by karen »

I can understand your frustrations Dodgyrog but that is not what I am saying - the running man has made numerous nasty comments about an organisation I support and people I worked with in the past and I am fed up with it. Nasty snide comments are unnecessary - constructive criticism is always welcome!
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#40 Post by the running man »

karen wrote:

Yes and you know who saw to to it I was badly treated, nice on the suface behind the scenes i was shunned...and what mistake is that? I had no idea freedom of speech was a mistake....
Last edited by the running man on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!