Here we go again.......new ban discussed today in Parliament

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G

Re: Here we go again.......new ban discussed today in Parliament

#11 Post by Sim G »

Everyone needs to go out and buy a pump shotgun now!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G

#12 Post by Sim G »

Here’s mine anyway…

In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Graham M
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#13 Post by Graham M »

Erdington was a really posh area when I was a lad. Now it's a sh!tehole like much of the rest of Birmingham
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Christel
Site Admin

#14 Post by Christel »

She won. Which means she can have her say re firearms. She talked about an uprising, somehow I do not believe she meant for white people who owns firearms.
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#15 Post by Mattnall »

Looks like it was another waste of parliamentary time - for now.

https://basc.org.uk/bill-to-restrict-pu ... ecome-law/
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Fedaykin

#16 Post by Fedaykin »

A few thoughts:

"Mr Pollard added he "saw no reason" anyone would need a pump-action shotgun stored in their home."

An old argument that has been used repeatedly by those who don't participate in shooting sports, just because he doesn't see any reason to store a pump action shotgun in their home doesn't mean there is no reason.

"We never want this to happen to any other communities again and for that to happen we need to learn the lessons of this tragedy."

Shall we ban the rental of vans then as well, there has been multiple attempts of mass murder with such things. Shall we catalogue a list of every inanimate object that has been used in a mass killing and ban them as well?

""Guns are not toys - they should not be treated as something cool."

Yes they are not toys but if I want to think they are "cool" that is my business as long as I operate within the law. There are many inanimate objects that others think are "cool" that I have no interest in...that is their business not a matter for social judgement!

"There should be real precautions in place to ensure people being given gun licenses are properly vetted."

There are extensive precautions in place...it would be nice if Police Firearms Licensing Departments applied them in a consistent manner!

"Changes to gun law need to include a focus on mental wellbeing and it should be reviewed regularly."

What is the cost and how effective is that going to be? If you speak to any mental health professional they will advise that it is very difficult to truly get a picture of any persons true mental state even with many hours or even years of assessment. That is why Psychopaths are able to operate in normal society without anyone noticing! Increasing the focus on mental health might have the reverse effect of what they were expecting as it will incentivise gunowners not to seek help if they are feeling depressed or feel they are developing an addiction problem as the result of that intervention would be the loss of their guns!

""No other community should have to suffer because a gun slips into the wrong hands."

If the Police did their job properly then communities will be far safer from the threat of what is an extremely unusual crime!

"There's no excuse for them to be kept by ordinary people at home and the sooner we have a common sense approach, the better."

Again, just because he thinks there is no reason for an ordinary person to have such items in their home doesn't mean there is no reason! I also dislike the term "Excuse" as it infers that those who wish to own a pump action shotgun only want them for nefarious reasons.
Mauserbill
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Range

#17 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Agree totally with your comments
But following other actions taken against legally held firearms ,just look at what the shooting community has lost since 1988
"If they want them they will take them"
GeeRam

#18 Post by GeeRam »

Mauserbill wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:25 pm Hello
Agree totally with your comments
But following other actions taken against legally held firearms ,just look at what the shooting community has lost since 1988
"If they want them they will take them"
Indeed.

The same things were said after Hungerford, and look what happened, and again after Dunblane, and look what happened.

Sadly we are trying to p*** over a wall that is just getting ever higher.....
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#19 Post by 450 Martini »

Panic Over.....for the moment.
The Home Office are not supporting the Bill

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/move- ... ils-129201
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#20 Post by Les »

It's good to see that common sense has prevailed ........... for now. 8-)
The Firearms and Hate Crime Bill, which seeks to ban the keeping of pump-action firearms in secure storage at certificate holders’ homes, will not become law, says BASC.
What I fail to understand is why firearms and hate crimes come under the same banner? As far as I know, most mass shootings in this country are not aimed at any particular group ( no pun intended). The victims could be anybody that the shooter comes across, or am I (probably/usually wtf ) missing something?