Interested here in antique lever guns? Bullards for example

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

boltman

Re: Interested here in antique lever guns? Bullards for exa

#11 Post by boltman »

Sim G wrote:Thank you!

I came to Marlin Rifles more by necessity than anything else. Always loved Frontier History and grew up in the 70s wanting to be a cowboy! Not much call for that growing up on a council estate (social housing) in the industrial North East of England!

But, when staring out in life earning my own money, I really wanted a Winchester! But, I couldn't afford them. Marlin were a third of the price of a Winchester.... I soon learned to love 'em! I've had a few Winchester's since through my hands, but they don't stay long. I did have a British military issued 1892 that I kept for a while, but it was soon passed on.

But, as a kid, my holy grail Winchester was a 1873 short rifle, with a pistol grip stock. Even though I could afford one now, I just wouldn't be able to lay down the price that such a thing commands. Thankfully Uberti decided to make a replica! I'll satisfy myself with that, even though I still prefer pre 1917 Marlins.
Sim - that is some fun history. Before I forget, is your Marlin 1894 equipped with an octagon or round barrel? Full magazine I assume?

Winchesters were my first love, dating back to very young childhood. My Dad used a Winchester M1886 in .33 WCF. What a perfect rifle that was for deep woods whitetail deer hunting in Northern Minnesota. Speaking of M1873's, I've never owned on in short rifle version. I've also never owned on with a pistol grip. However, I have a few that would interest you, from that, "frontier" perspective. Here is a .44-40 Saddle Ring Carbine that probably served a cowboy for many decades. It surely has stories to tell. The neat thing is that it is a standard carbine in all respects except it was ordered with full nickel plate finish. It seems that Cowboy wanted a shiny gun he could show off.
Attachments
Winchesters1873nickelplatebarrelcropped.jpg
Winchesters1873nickelplateleftcropped.jpg
Winchesters1873nickelplatecropped.jpg
Sim G

Re: Interested here in antique lever guns? Bullards for exa

#12 Post by Sim G »

The Marlin is Octagonal, full magazine.

Nickel plated SRC?! Whole new dimension for a "BBQ gun"!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!