BREAKING: UK bans pigeon and crow shooting

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

Re: BREAKING: UK bans pigeon and crow shooting

#11 Post by Fedaykin »

Dorset_shooter wrote:My hate for that man has doubled in seconds, he is becoming dangerous
I can't stand the man, self righteous and completely closed to any opinions outside of his personal world view! That he uses his platform on the BBC to push his personal agenda despite repeated complaints only further dims my view of him and the BBC an organisation I already have a very low opinion on when it comes to their anti shooting bias.

The second this popped up today on Social media and a legal challenge was mentioned I thought to myself 'this reeks of Packham'! He almost got his way over bird shooting on Malta! Basically he has spent the last few years along with his extremest animal rights buddies trying to find a way to get a country within the EU to ban bird shooting to then use that as the basis for further campaigning. So far he has failed but it looks today he has managed to get his way via a sneaky underhand trick. For those attacking BASC and the other organisations I get the strong impression that in this case they along with Natural England have been completely caught out and surprised.

No doubt Packham will use his platform on the BBC to push his narrative and try to prevent the reissuing of the general licences ASAP! Expect much self righteous crowing over his 'victory' over the next few weeks!
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
Ovenpaa

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

So come Thursday Larsen traps are illegal. Right now pigeons are decimating crops. Corvids killing fledglings by the thousands yet they have not renewed the general licenses
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
safetyfirst

#13 Post by safetyfirst »

kennyc wrote:
safetyfirst wrote:Is shooting an effective way to control pests over crops? Can anyone provide concrete evidence for this based on solid studies?

I mean it might be fun and generate delicious pigeons but is it actually effective? Not “well my mate who’s a farmer says” effective but “a three year double blind study finds that” effective.

Anyone?
I think before you "ban" a pest control method, you really ought to have an effective replacement waiting in the wings, I suspect that is not the case here ?
That would take planning.

This is the British government we’re talking about.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#14 Post by GeeRam »

safetyfirst wrote:
kennyc wrote:
safetyfirst wrote:Is shooting an effective way to control pests over crops? Can anyone provide concrete evidence for this based on solid studies?

I mean it might be fun and generate delicious pigeons but is it actually effective? Not “well my mate who’s a farmer says” effective but “a three year double blind study finds that” effective.

Anyone?
I think before you "ban" a pest control method, you really ought to have an effective replacement waiting in the wings, I suspect that is not the case here ?
That would take planning.

This is the British government we’re talking about.
Planning involves some sort of logical and rational thought process.

Which is something British Govt has shown to be totally devoid of for several decades now..... 8-)
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#15 Post by HH1 »

Mr Yardley is whingeing about this on his FB page...... I wonder how long it will be before he's asking all shooters to "rally round" and help in the fight... including those of us that only shoot steel, clays and paper target with those "Nasty Black Guns".
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#16 Post by Strangely Brown »

HH1 wrote:Mr Yardley is whingeing about this on his FB page...... I wonder how long it will be before he's asking all shooters to "rally round" and help in the fight... including those of us that only shoot steel, clays and paper target with those "Nasty Black Guns".
I can't find his FB page, are you sure it's still there...……...unless of course he's blocked me. :o
Mick
Chapuis

#17 Post by Chapuis »

HH1 wrote:Mr Yardley is whingeing about this on his FB page...... I wonder how long it will be before he's asking all shooters to "rally round" and help in the fight... including those of us that only shoot steel, clays and paper target with those "Nasty Black Guns".
And quite rightly so, regardless of personalities all shooters should be rallying against this.
MistAgain

#18 Post by MistAgain »

Strangely Brown wrote:
I can't find his FB page, are you sure it's still there...……...unless of course he's blocked me. :o
Lardley has just posted this on his twit account ................

Facebook have closed my access to my professional page, and they won't let me contact them to tell them that they've made a mistake. I wonder how long this page will remain open
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

#19 Post by BooBoo »

As a lever release shooter, you have no idea how much this makes me "laugh my jeffin socks off".

To all of those smooth bore shooters who wrote in to help LR, I say thank you. To the other x hundred thousand and the various representative bodies who appeared to do nothing, I say now is the time to support the whole of shooting (and not just your own part of the sport).

Before this raises hell, I would like to add that I also shoot under the "about to be rescinded" general licences.

The "view new posts" is becoming saturated by posts about restrictions and negative press about our sport. Unlike others who urge various persons to keep their heads down and so on, how about supporting those with courage to at least stand up and let their thoughts become known. Saying nothing and keeping ones head down is dooming our sport to failure as though it is a pariah past time.
Ovenpaa

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

BooBoo wrote:As a lever release shooter, you have no idea how much this makes me "laugh my jeffin socks off".

To all of those smooth bore shooters who wrote in to help LR, I say thank you. To the other x hundred thousand and the various representative bodies who appeared to do nothing, I say now is the time to support the whole of shooting (and not just your own part of the sport).

Before this raises hell, I would like to add that I also shoot under the "about to be rescinded" general licences.

The "view new posts" is becoming saturated by posts about restrictions and negative press about our sport. Unlike others who urge various persons to keep their heads down and so on, how about supporting those with courage to at least stand up and let their thoughts become known. Saying nothing and keeping ones head down is dooming our sport to failure as though it is a pariah past time.
I 100% agree with your post.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal