Phoenix

Moderator: dromia

Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: Phoenix

#11 Post by Mike357 »

If anybody sees a dealer with a decent Marlin in 357/44 PM me :lol:
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#12 Post by dodgyrog »

Mike357 wrote:If anybody sees a dealer with a decent Marlin in 357/44 PM me :lol:
Not at the prices you want to pay! Lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come and visit me at the tent annexe to the main sale room. Bring sustenance!!!

Dodgyrog's Double lube Boolits.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Sim G

#13 Post by Sim G »

I'll be there. I'm not shooting this year but still make the journey to pick up a few bits and pieces....

Trouble is, I've been doing the trip for 25 years, for those that remember Pistol AD, so a bit of a pilgrimage. But the trade fair never matches the pistol days!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
johngarnett
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#14 Post by johngarnett »

Oh yes, the days of Pistol AD!
This year I shall be shooting 3 x gallery comps and collecting 'bits'. Done it since Pistol AD No1. My entries have reduced but I HAVE to go. It's a pilgrimage from Cornwall!
Good shooting to all FBUKers in their comps
If we don't use it we'll lose it.
JohnG
Sim G

#15 Post by Sim G »

Mike357 wrote:If anybody sees a dealer with a decent Marlin in 357/44 PM me :lol:

Trouble is, Edgar Brothers have taken over the import of Marlin. Immediately, they stuck 400 quid on the price of a new Cowboy, which is now close to 1000 pounds!!!!!

Hence, second hand prices have gone up as well! :oops:
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#16 Post by Mike357 »

Sim G wrote:

Trouble is, Edgar Brothers have taken over the import of Marlin. Immediately, they stuck 400 quid on the price of a new Cowboy, which is now close to 1000 pounds!!!!!

Hence, second hand prices have gone up as well! :oops:
From what I can gather, older Marlins are better made so 2nd hand is the way to go. I have my eye on a 44 but Im not saying where.... ;)
Sim G

#17 Post by Sim G »

Hah, it's a bit of a fallacy aftder Marlin closed down their plant and moved production. That's the power of the internet, one guy posts a problem with his new rifle, 2 + 2, gets 7 and everyone else tends to agree that his maths are spot on.....

That said, my 1894 manufactured Marlin feels "tighter" than my 1999 manufactured......

117 years old and still ticking beautifully!

Mike357

#18 Post by Mike357 »

Sim G, that particular comment about old Marlins being better came from South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies. If they say old Marlins are better made than new ones then there has to be some truth in it!