Neck Tension

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
The Gun Pimp

Re: Neck Tension

#11 Post by The Gun Pimp »

"Having said that, there are claims (admittedly from seating-force-gauge sellers) that sorting and grouping ammo by seating force produces more consistent velocity. However, my understanding has always been that (if the chamber permits) the case mouth opens and completely releases the bullet before the bullet starts moving; if this were the case how could tension/grip have an effect on ballistics or accuracy?"

Exactly!
Vince
Ovenpaa

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

:) So why do we bother, is this a feel good thing? A mate points every one of his bullets, Christel refuses to tumble her cases, I use a PB brush in a cordless screwdriver down the inside of the necks at a very specific rate. Some weigh to exactly one kernel and some will only use Arbor presses for pushing bullets in. I think we all do our own thing as we believe it makes for a more accurate bullet and accordingly is one thing less to dwell on at the firing point.

I was recently reading about the BR shooters in the US who years ago used to neck turn a very specific length of the neck so that once fired a register is formed inside the neck that allowed the shooter to just place the bullet in the neck by hand and always to the same OAL.

The interesting/scientific part is what has been proven to work physically and what makes us shoot better because we believe what we have built is better?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G

#13 Post by Sim G »

One question, how do the scores of F/TR and F class compare?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
The Gun Pimp

#14 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Sim G

Laurie Holland covered this topic in his write up of the recent F Class Europeans in Target Shooter magazine - Dec issue.
www.targetshooter.co.uk

Vince
rox

#15 Post by rox »

Sim G wrote:One question, how do the scores of F/TR and F class compare?
At the most recent World Championships the F Open and F/TR shot alongside so had broadly similar conditions (although the F/TR were on a more exposed part of the range, IIRC). The scores are available via the following links:

Open International Teams Match

F Restricted International Match

Discarding the top and bottom scores in the winning teams and averaging the remaining scores gives a difference of 31 points per man over six 2+15's, or 5 points for each 2 + 15 shoot, a pretty huge difference in favour of the 7mm/Open.

Bob.
The Gun Pimp

#16 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Bob,

The 308 can hold it's own at 800yds and even 900 but at 1000 yards we can get blown all over the target!

Cheers
Vince
woody_rod

#17 Post by woody_rod »

The Gun Pimp wrote:Bob,

The 308 can hold it's own at 800yds and even 900 but at 1000 yards we can get blown all over the target!

Cheers
Vince
Against a 6,5mm of typical target shooting type, you would have a disadvantage at all ranges. Mine shoots less than 2/3's of the elevation of a 308 at all ranges, and about half the windage. That is 22 minutes of elevation at 1000 yards (above 300), with the 308 typically being 34-36. No matter how you look at this, the 308 cannot keep up.
The Gun Pimp

#18 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Woody,

I agree - the 308Win is inferior to say the 6.5x55 Swede but as an F Class round - on an F Class target it does well at 800/900 yards - check out a few past results from the League - in other words the 308 does shoot a 'possible' now and again - and don't forget, our set-up and rifle weight is at a disadvantage to an Open Class rifle.

The top three or four F/TR shooters would still be in the top ten Open Class shooters at most League shoots. Build a 308 into a 22lb Open Rifle and shoot off proper benchrests and you would see even more improvement.

Incidentally - check those come-ups - I'm using 28MOA from 100 yards to 1000 yards - some guys are getting their 155's to exit the muzzle at 3100fps! The F/TR guys have re-discovered the potential of the 308Win and there's more to come.

Cheers
Vince
woody_rod

#19 Post by woody_rod »

The Gun Pimp wrote:Woody,

I agree - the 308Win is inferior to say the 6.5x55 Swede but as an F Class round - on an F Class target it does well at 800/900 yards - check out a few past results from the League - in other words the 308 does shoot a 'possible' now and again - and don't forget, our set-up and rifle weight is at a disadvantage to an Open Class rifle.

The top three or four F/TR shooters would still be in the top ten Open Class shooters at most League shoots. Build a 308 into a 22lb Open Rifle and shoot off proper benchrests and you would see even more improvement.

Incidentally - check those come-ups - I'm using 28MOA from 100 yards to 1000 yards - some guys are getting their 155's to exit the muzzle at 3100fps! The F/TR guys have re-discovered the potential of the 308Win and there's more to come.

Cheers
Vince
I get 3050fps from my TR with 12 twist barrel, and 34 minutes of elevation. In anything but ideal conditions, a 6,5 will outshoot the 308 in any form, otherwise everyone would be using them. The thing now is the 7WSM and 284's, this is due to ballistics, pure and simple.

It is fine to compare F/TR with other F/TR, but open is another thing altogether. A crappy day at 1000 yards will give a massive difference.
The Gun Pimp

#20 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Woody,

Couldn't agree more - the 308 has serious limits but that's what attracts us to F/TR - you gotta (try to) read the wind!

I ran a 6.5WSM for a while (i.e 450 rounds and the barrel was shot) - like a laser with 139 Scenars.

Cheers
Vince