7.62 x 54R

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1

Re: 7.62 x 54R

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

If you re load for .303 you can re load for the Nagant I use the same bullet in both. I made the mistake of using millitary surplus in a nagant not realizing they were corrosive the barrel was a mess I do not use any millsurp ammo any more in any of my rifles I re load then I know I am getting the best quality ammo for that gun because I made it.
I dont worry about cost I just want the best performing ammo I can get.
Cast boolits perform well in the nagant re loading cast is not expensive.
Buy a set of dies and have a go is my advice.Slug your bore I think you will find .308 bullets are to small its more likely to be .311 as stated previously.
ovenpaa

#12 Post by ovenpaa »

I agree the defacto bullet is .311" however it is worth slugging as you can certainly get away with .308"on some 54R's - if nothing else slugging tells you what your bore is clocking at. Plus the 147's make for a lovely bullet if you can use them.

I do like cast boolits as well but have never tried them in 54R
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

I dont think I have ever owned a Nagant that was .308. But dont take my word for it slug the bore. I may be mistaken.
Doz

#14 Post by Doz »

Christ what a night - front wheel came off the motor on the way back from picking up the rifle. Fortunately back on local roads and not the M25, but so close to home that the bloody breakdown cover wasn't valid (crooks). Can't get to the bloody range on Sunday now! Grrrrr...

...anyway, thanks again everyone. Will slug the bore and see where we go from there - ovenpaa, thanks for the offer of the slugs but I should be able to get away with a soft lead ball or two from the muzzleloading cupboard!
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#15 Post by dodgyrog »

Doz wrote:Thanks very much indeed everyone, I think this is the prompt to start boolit casting. I already cast balls for muzzleloading and my old man was a printer so I can source some decent metal. Will buy a few rounds of surplus to have a go over the weekend then think about reloading. Will be back for advice! Cheers.
In the meantime I can sell you some cast boolits, sized to your requirements. :D
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#16 Post by dodgyrog »

BTW I've been loading some 115gr cast boolits over 4.2 gr of tite group for indoor use.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Doz

#17 Post by Doz »

dodgyrog wrote:In the meantime I can sell you some cast boolits, sized to your requirements. :D
Too kind :lol: I may take you up on that.
Doz

#18 Post by Doz »

Hoping to get a chance to slug the bore this weekend. In the meantime does anyone have a recommendation as to dies? I've always neck sized rimmed cases but that looks like an expensive option in this calibre as Lee don't do a collet die for it (although I could get one made which I think is still cheaper than buying RCBS). Or should I just full-length size and buy new cases more often?! Views welcome please!
ovenpaa

#19 Post by ovenpaa »

For .303? Neck sizing is still the way to go if your brass is OK, if you can get a Lee modified then all well and good, from a personal viewpoint I have had outstanding accuracy from some Lee dies. If you want to spend the money then get a Forster which although well priced will require a separate bushing or a Redding neck sizing die.

Hmm... I think I have a spare brand new Redding .303 neck sizing die that I inadvertently ordered a while ago ;)

I can check if you are interested.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Doz

#20 Post by Doz »

I was thinking of the 7.62x54, presuming you're not (or am I being thick which is always likely :lol:)? Given the similar dimensions at the neck I could be misunderstanding you completely! I neck size .303 already using a Lee collet die which seems to do the job very well, especially given the relatively low cost.