K22 Red Dot Sight

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

DavidRees
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

Re: K22 Red Dot Sight

#11 Post by DavidRees »

I believe the fault lies with the rail on the K22, not the mount frame, if fault has to be assigned.

I spent an hour last night, filing the channels on the K22 frame to allow the Universal mount to fit. Plastic frame, after all, so not at all difficult.

That way, if I ever want to be able to choose between different scopes, I can have multiple mounts, easily interchangeable on the gun. Of course, you may prefer to take a file to a £35 mount, rather than an £850 gun...but what is life without a little bit of adventure :)

David.
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#12 Post by Zilberbak »

C'mon the likleyhood of an Israeli aluminium red dot bracket going on to a Slovakian plastic pistol rail by an amatuer gunsmith (l use the term "gunsmith" lightly) is very unlikley! At least someone makes something close enough to do the job.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#13 Post by saddler »

Plastic??

Ya never said

10 minutes with a hot-air gun & a suitable engineering hammer would have got the job done to acceptable government standards
Zilberbak

#14 Post by Zilberbak »

Just in case; l did mean me as the amateur gunsmith not you David. It was in answer to saddler's dry humour.

Very brave as l thought plastic was easier to file but decided the chicken route and filed the bracket.
Zilberbak

DavidRees
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#15 Post by DavidRees »

Zilberbak wrote:Just in case; l did mean me as the amateur gunsmith not you David. It was in answer to saddler's dry humour.

Very brave as l thought plastic was easier to file but decided the chicken route and filed the bracket.
Not so brave: I had watched Paul M.'s video a couple of weeks ago, which pointed me at the mount, and he made it clear in the video that he used a hammer to fit it, which essentially forced a channel for the bracket in the plastic rail on the gun. Never would have attempted anything if I hadn't seen that (excellent) video.

I now have a green dot sight on the way to me from China, to complete the setup. It will make the pistol even more fun than it is already -- and it's pretty good just with iron sights!

David.
Primer

#16 Post by Primer »

I went the route of fettling the £35 mount, it needed less than 1mm taking off it. Had to fettle my replica ghost holster too to take into account the extra picatinny rail on the bottom of the mount.

Here's a couple of pics

Just need to get it zero'd in tomorrow and check the red dot is bright enough in daylight with the targets and distances that will be used at the comp on Sunday.
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers
PrecisionGunnerUK
Home club or Range: Wakefield Rifle and Pistol Club, North Cotes Butts, Warwickshire Armourers Rifle Club

#17 Post by PrecisionGunnerUK »

Nice job !

Reason I didn't file the mount was because I might use the mount on a different pistol in the future and didn't want to compromise the mount. Yeah I know, it's only £35 for another one but I'm an honorary Yorkshireman :flag5:

However now the pistol frame has been formed to the mount, any standard mount should now fit, and I can re-use the mount on another gun.

Cheers!
Paul M.
I love shooting, me ;-)
Correct grammer is so important
Primer

#18 Post by Primer »

Well got the red dot zero'd in today at the range, borrowed a mates bore sighter but had problems as the red dot was brighter than the bore sighter red dot but got there in the end. Was worried the red dot would not be bright enough outside in the sun at 25m as no brightness adjustment like on my OKO red dot on my M & P but the shield mini-site auto adjusts its brightness level to the ambient light.

Used some 8, 6 & 3" shoot n c targets (black that show up as florescent green where the bullet hits, these are great targets) and zero'd out to 25m, moving forward on the target I had to aim 1.5 inch high at round 7m which wasn't bad, was hitting the bull relatively easy at 25m when using the upright of the shooting bench as a steady and got all shots within the 3" target standing freehand, so pretty happy with that as all will easily be within the A zone of a standard IPSC pistol target.
It got easier during the morning to acquire the red dot on the target, first few mounts was a bit like stirring porridge before I acquired the dot in the sight, just need to get plenty of practice in now to build up some muscle memory so that I mount and sight in correctly each time.

I was going to take pics of the groups on my targets but when I returned to the range after lunch someone else had decided to shoot the hell out of my targets.
When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers
Zilberbak

#19 Post by Zilberbak »

Will be sighting mine in tomorrow with a big piece of white paper and no doubt lots of giggles from my gun buddies!
Zilberbak

sharps4065
Home club or Range: NRA, HBSA, MLAGB, UKPSA, SSBPCRCGB, Headley Park R&P Club, Havant R&P Club

#20 Post by sharps4065 »

What holster do you use with K22 now you've added the sight & mount?

C