Shooting Glasses

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
TobyH

Re: Shooting Glasses

#21 Post by TobyH »

I've got some Bolle's and love them, though they aren't safety glasses!
"Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down." - Dick Sharples
Alpha1

#22 Post by Alpha1 »

Arco list the spec for the glasses the ones I order will protect you from chemical splashes and impact.They will have a web site check it out.
Polchraine

#23 Post by Polchraine »

christel wrote:These safety glasses....do they actually protect you if something blows up in your face?

There are safety glasses and safety glasses ... Some are for high impact, others low impact and others just stop sparks so you need to know what you are buying. Why are some £3/pair and others £50 - does the price suggest some are better at impact resistance than others? A set of safely glasses for use when grinding will deal with red hot sparks and small filling , but hit it with a ball bearing from 5M and the glasses could smash. A set of impact resistant may pit when sparks fly, but will stop a rapidly mnoving projectile.

Oakley sell theirs as shooting glasses are are proven as such - I have seen one which have taken pellets from 10M and a frame which was high by a full bore round from a few hundred metres - although dented, both were intact.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Ovenpaa

#24 Post by Ovenpaa »

I agree, you only get one set of eyes (So speaks the man that leaves his safety glasses at home most of the time) I think we both need to get into the habit of using them more often, having said that I cannot remember when I last saw a LR shooter with safety specs on.

Poll time! :D
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TobyH

#25 Post by TobyH »

Its not all about money, its about specifications and standards. If they meet the impact standards then they will do the job whether they cost £1.50 or £150. EN166 (or whatever it is) is an impact test as explained before therefore if your expensive glasses have passed and your cheap ones have too then they are of the same standard, perhaps not style though!!

Its more complicated than that of course, there's the frames as well which will have an effect. I've been in a workshop with safety glasses on and been hit with flying metal lumps, still got bruises to the head from the re-bound, but eyes were fine. They cost about £3....

You just need to check they have the right test standards for what you're wanting them to do. Safety glasses rather than goggles/visors can only do so much. If you were hit in the face with a shotgun gun blast from 5m your eye sight is the least of your worries!!!
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#26 Post by Mike357 »

We have also failed to mention comfort! Different frames will fit differently. Cheap ones may well be more comfortable that a £150 pair of Oakleys. If you are wearing them all day on a baking hot day then that is a real consideration!
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#27 Post by Mike357 »

Bolles - http://www.usmcpro.com/usmcgb/indexf.php

£9, that cant be bad!
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Christel
Site Admin

#28 Post by Christel »

Comfort indeed, that is why I am after a new pair, I simply cannot get on with the BSA I have.
Robin128

#29 Post by Robin128 »

Standard prescription protective tinted eye wear...like they do in Tescos but with the polycarbonate...there's money in it...all us 50s baby boomers going blind.

Can't use scope without them.
TobyH

#30 Post by TobyH »

Some nice kit there.