Re-varnishing Stock

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

thesquiff

Re-varnishing Stock

#1 Post by thesquiff »

I have a Musgrave rifle mounted in a laminated stock (not sure of exact make). The stock is starting to look a bit knocked about and has started soaking up water a bit on particularly wet range days. I'd like to re-varnish it to generally tidy it up and reseal it.

Is this something I could comfortably attempt myself or something that should be left to an expert?

What sort of varnish should be used and how should I go about preparing the stock?

Thanks,

Charlie.
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

Re: Re-varnishing Stock

#2 Post by M99 »

That should help!
johngarnett
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#3 Post by johngarnett »

I had a laminated stocked TR that was looking a bit sad so I took to it with sandpaper and wire wool and lots of time!

I finished it with, I think, 5 coats of Tru Oil and the end result was very acceptable. Careful not to round sharp edges.

Good luck

JohnG :cornwall:
StanDeasy

#4 Post by StanDeasy »

I have used laminated stocks for many years and they need to be completely sealed against water ingress or there is a risk that de-lamination may occur.

Therefore I don't think that traditional stock oil finishes are suitable. I would use a two-part clear cold cure lacquer such as Rustins Plastic Coating.

SD
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would be inclined to go with a two pack coating which will seal it fully but be warned, some such coatings do yellow with age.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
thesquiff

#6 Post by thesquiff »

Thanks for all the replies - that's certainly given me some avenues to look into. I'll try and get some decent pics of the stock later which might inform which method is most appropriate.