Tactical/FTR Rifle Project

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

R.G.C

Re: Tactical/FTR Rifle Project

#11 Post by R.G.C »

woody_rod wrote:Barnard is not the only action in the world. I could name 20 that would do the same job.

Lack of means of comparison,Rod... or critical sense.

R.G.C
The Gun Pimp

#12 Post by The Gun Pimp »

True, there are many actions which would do the same job but, in terms of availability and cost IN THE UK the Barnard SM makes sense.

Cheers
Vince
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#13 Post by Mike357 »

Vince, is the Barnard economical compared to the GBR or Valkyrie Rifles (SYSS) action? They are under £1000.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
sanselm

#14 Post by sanselm »

Almost identical in price, or certainly not enough to worry about, its just down to preference really.
The Gun Pimp

#15 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Mike,

Stuart's right - they are all about the same price. I've built a rifle on the GBR and I have my own Barnard. I'm hoping to have a good look at one of Dave Wylde's Valkyrie actions in due course.

Any of these actions would be available 'off the shelf'.

But, I never see the point of spending money 'blueprinting' a Remington - when you come to sell it, it will still be just a Remmy.

Cheers
Vince
woody_rod

#16 Post by woody_rod »

The Gun Pimp wrote: But, I never see the point of spending money 'blueprinting' a Remington - when you come to sell it, it will still be just a Remmy.
True enough. A design based directly on one from 1898....I don't see the attraction myself (for any version of this action, custom or not). Two small locking lugs and a very small barrel tenon don't help....
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#17 Post by Mike357 »

Vince, wise words about re-sale! I guess the Remington is out now. A little extra saving sounds as if it would reap benefits in the long run. Woody, never thought about it that way either.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!