LER/Scout scope wanted

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Dougan

Re: LER/Scout scope wanted

#11 Post by Dougan »

Alpha1 wrote:I have a LER scope on a mosin nagant. I bought a Darrel mount for it from thr States. I also got the scope from the States of the tinternet it was cheap and it works very well.
darell mount.jpg
Thank you Alpha.

When you set it up, did you have any problems getting the correct eye relief? From what I can work out, I'll only get an inch or so of movement on the mounts - so are all 'LER' scopes made to be flexible, or do you have to get the eye relief just right...?
Dougan

#12 Post by Dougan »

Sandgroper wrote:
Dougan wrote:
Sandgroper wrote:Sim G has a scout scope for sale.
Thanks for that Sandgroper - The 'Burris' would be nice, but I've never shot with an LER scope (or many other scopes), so was hoping for something cheap...just to try it out...
How about - http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/543/10 ... e-ascop01/
Nice one Sandgroper :good:

I did find this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130626561244? ... 1423.l2649 - which has a slightly larger field of view and magnification....but I know Walther, and it clearly states the scope is water and fog proof...which may prove important.
Ovenpaa

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

A mate shoots with a Walther 'scope. I doubt they are made by Walther given what he paid for it. I was a bit sceptical about it but he gets good results.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

Thank you Alpha.

When you set it up, did you have any problems getting the correct eye relief? From what I can work out, I'll only get an inch or so of movement on the mounts - so are all 'LER' scopes made to be flexible, or do you have to get the eye relief just right...?
I had no problem at all setting it up if you think about it a LER scope is designed for mounting on a hand gun that is shot with the gun at arms length. Mounting one on a scout rifle is not a problem.
I have shot mine out to 300yds. I normally use it at 100yds with out any problems and its fairly accurate and a lot easier to use than with iron sights.
By the way were did you get the mount for the 6.5 I might just stick one on mine.
Sandgroper

#15 Post by Sandgroper »

Dougan,
I have that one from e-bay. Nothing special, but it does the job out to 300m. :good:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Dougan

#16 Post by Dougan »

Alpha1 wrote:By the way were did you get the mount for the 6.5 I might just stick one on mine.
Sorry I don't know where the mount came from...it came with the rifle, which I got from a friend of SimG's.....
Dougan

#17 Post by Dougan »

Thanks again all - Uber helpfull as always :goodjob:

I've gone for the Walther...I'll let you know how it goes...
Sim G

#18 Post by Sim G »

I've been away and only just seen this thread.......

At present, there are only two, proper IER (intermediate eye relief), "Scout Scopes" on the market. The Burris and the Leupold. Those generally sold cheaply are long eye relief (pistol) scopes of Chinese manufacture. Mounted as a Scout Scope might not give the best eye relief or paralax for longer ranges.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dougan

#19 Post by Dougan »

Well I can definately recommend 'Uttings' if you want something fast - I ordered the scope Sunday night, and it arrived this morning :good:

SimG - you are quite right; it does have quite a long eye relief - fortunately the Mauser is quite a long, and by putting the scope as far forward as it'll go on the rail it's pretty good...but on a shorter rifle it may be too close...

I'm pretty pleased with the scope, and can't wait to try it out - it'll make developing a load much easier...but as to whether it'll be any good for snap shooting...well there's only one way to find out... :0037:

My only worry is the mount - it attatches to the flip up sight, and although it's done in a fairly solid way, it means that the scope and rail are only acctualy connected to the rifle by a single pin....If I like the style of shooting, and upgrade the scope; I'd look for a better mount too...

Douglas - here's a picture...I did try to get one of the view down the scope, but it was crap, and too poor to post :oops:
scout scope.JPG