Mosin-Nagant PU scope, loose turret

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

ptheta
Home club or Range: TFSA

Mosin-Nagant PU scope, loose turret

#1 Post by ptheta »

Hi all,
I've got myself a really nice example of a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 sniper rifle but the windage turret assembly is a little bit loose. I think it would be fine to shoot as it only moves slightly and then only if you get hold of it and give it a bit of a wiggle but I'd still like to tighten it up.

I saw the exploded diagram here: http://mosinnagant.net/sniper%20section ... ghting.asp
and I was wondering if I took the top few parts off would I be able to screw down the ring stop somehow to tighten the whole thing up.

I thought I'd seek advice here first in case anyone has experience of these and can advise me on what to adjust.

Thanks,
Paul.
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Mosin-Nagant PU scope, loose turret

#2 Post by bnz41 »

Hi.

I have a pu sniper are the screws on the adjusters domed or flat ? in the middle there should be a small threaded stud which you may be able to tighten this is normally punched to stop movement, see if its loose and the adjuster ones, other than that I'm not sure. Do not over tighten..
Last edited by bnz41 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ptheta
Home club or Range: TFSA

#3 Post by ptheta »

I don't have it to hand but I think they're flat. I went as far as taking out all three screws on Sunday but decided not to proceed further then as I wasn't sure what I should be doing. I reassembled it without any problems and didn't over tighten as I could see that those screws were not the issue. At that time I hadn't seen the diagram I linked earlier and didn't realise that the adjuster knob ought to just come off (as it looks like it should in the diagram at least).

It is the entire "turret" assembly that is loose and not just the end part. Looking at the diagram I think that the "cal ring clamp" needs tightening down. I wonder if that is directly possible or if perhaps the "compression washer" is a bit tired. It certainly seems like the whole thing just needs pulling down onto the "spindle" somehow.

N.B. I've put terms in quotes where I'm using the terms from that diagram.

Thanks again,
Paul.
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by bnz41 »

Hi Paul.

PM sent..