GB Lead Palma by 25 points after day 1

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
rox

GB Lead Palma by 25 points after day 1

#1 Post by rox »

Provisional results after day 1 place GB in lead by 25 points:

GB 3509-311
RSA 3484-314
USA 3481-304
AUS 3468-289
NZ 3433-251
CAN 3428-261

Detailed results here:

http://www.2011.nraa.com.au/disp_tresul ... &type=eagg

Gun Pimp

Re: GB Lead Palma by 25 points after day 1

#2 Post by Gun Pimp »

This is the one that counts - the Team Match for the Palma Trophy
Good start for GB

Vince
WhizzyBill

#3 Post by WhizzyBill »

Looking good so far, but anything can happen.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Quite a lead already then however things can change in an instant. Fingers crossed for the GB team :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by IainWR »

Watched them do it.

Classic GB machine at work. Organised, disciplined and taking advantage where it was to be had. There was a long hold about 20 minutes into the 900 yd shoot where everybody stopped. Eventually Canada fired a shot. Most others fired a shot or two (we are now talking >10 minute with no activity). GB fired an out-of-sequence sighter and got a bad inner. GB then went back to sleep until USA AUS and SA all had started again in earnest. Only then did they get going.

Towards the end of 900 GB were left with Patel and Underwood to finish. An elegant sequence of alternate shots got them finished with, I think, one point dropped in 13 shots between them. Mean while USA had overplayed the waiting game and had to take what could be done for their last three shooters, finishing 42 off on the distance against GB 30 and AUS 31.

At 1000 strategic games were on. It was 10 minutes before GB fired a shot, and 20 before AUS fired a shot (starting with a v so they must have read something right). GB played many out-of-sequence sighters to cope on the right side of the range (generally acknowledged to be the difficult side in a left wind).

GB won all three ranges, but I believe second place went to USA, AUS and SA through the distances so the margins are less than you might imagine. Nigel Ball leads the individual with the only 224, despite a nasty back problem requiring extensive intervention from the team physio (Erica McMullen).

The bottom of the GB scoreboard lists the Armourer (Jumbo Lewis), coaching reserve (Nick Tremlett), shooting reserve (Ant Ringer) and physio (Erica). Five Queen's Prizes (GM) and one (G&T) between them.

Team eating together downstairs and starting to drift to bed past our door in the hotel. More tomorrow, wind forecast to be lighter, so less chance for disaster. If the machine carries on . . .

Iain
IainWR

#6 Post by IainWR »

Further to the last, all the teams are exhibiting superb firing point discipline. If I had to pick one in that respect I would say that the Aussies have a beautiful routine. OTOH GB are magnificently helpful to each other without, as far as I can see, any direction - in other words the mutual support is drilled into them.

Iain
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Iain, great post that told me so much more than the results alone. Any chance of a daily update for the duration?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
IainWR

#8 Post by IainWR »

Hi

I will post tomorrow at the end.

In between there is a scores table on the NRAA website (world champs logo on the LH side of the homepage leads you to a results page) which is updated as each shooter finishes, and there is a Facebook page with commentary on an ad hoc basis from the US team supporters (they have about 60 people here in total).

The GB u25s did the GB scoreboard today, but they are now on their way home, so Karen and I will probably be occupied in support tomorrow.

Iain
Dougan

#9 Post by Dougan »

Thanks Iain - it's interesting to hear how the tactics play out in team shooting (something I've not even watched before).

Come on GB :flag13:
Gun Pimp

#10 Post by Gun Pimp »

Iain,
A great report.
Any chance of a write-up on the Palma Match for the December issue of Target Shooter magazine?
www.targetshooteronline.com
Vince (Editor)