What's the one gun that you should have bought at the time or sold it?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

What's the one gun that you should have bought at the time or sold it?

#1 Post by the running man »

So I put this in grumpy old men instead of general discussion, seemed like the best place to put it.

So,with all that's past,what's the one gun that you wish you had bought but you didn't and you never found it again.

Or what's the the best gun you sold and wished you had never done it.

Ile start off 8-) I sold a sako finnfire,always regretted it,6 years later I bought another and it was better than before,then sako brought out the finnfire 2!

I also regret having to get rid of my 686+p90 h+k (probably besides the point)

Recent regret,I saw this video on you tube,it was a derya 12g,side by side hammer,hert lush wood on it,they wanted £200,I slapped it down and ordered it but ruag (now artimis dunno what's going on with them) cocked it up and no they never had any....ughhhh annoyed,for a £200 occasion fun gun I was looking forward to it.

Biggest regret is my stockade ruger lbp,unbelievable accuracy, 50m all through a 50p and a palm group on a good day free standing.

How's about you guys.
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
PeterN
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: What's the one gun that you should have bought at the time or sold it?

#2 Post by PeterN »

I was at a Bisley arms fair and saw a Swedish Mauser M94 carbine complete with bayonet. It was in really nice condition and priced less than I thought it should be. I had an open 6.5mm variation sat on my FAC. I ummed and aahed and thought I would look round the rest of the stalls to see what else was on offer and come back to it. I got two or three tables along and thought I should have that rifle as there is not likely to be another as good and as cheap. I turned back to see someone else looking at the rifle. I got there just as he said he would have it. That is over 20 years ago and still niggles me. I have seen others since but not as nice and more than twice the price without the bayonet. I never did get one.
Regards
Peter.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#3 Post by Pippin89 »

I saw an RPA Quadlock in the Holts blind auction. I stuck in a ridiculously cheeky bid of £550. It sold for £600. Even if the barrel was shot out it was worth well over a grand. If the barrel was ok it was worth about £2k. I kick myself every day that I didn't bid slightly higher.
ukrifleman
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by ukrifleman »

My biggest regret is never owning a Madsen M47.
I tried to buy a mint example from the US a few years ago, but it never came to anything.
I have never seen one for sale in the UK.
ukrifleman.
Vossie
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Bisley

#5 Post by Vossie »

Most of the time it's being pipped at the post for not quite having enough money there and then. Wised up a bit since.

An AK 47, the Spencer Carbine I missed for the above reason when I should have just asked for some time.
I am doing the same thing now over another rifle, although need a variation.
JammyGuns

#6 Post by JammyGuns »

In terms of selling I think my Taurus .44 LBR - which I sold for about £800 ish a few yrs back (needed the money), and of course they're well the otherside of a grand now... It felt less like a real handgun than my current much lighter 9mm Rhino but it was also ridiculously fun, easy to reload for and accurate at 25 yds. You just had to accept it for what it was (as with all LBRs) and then it was a blast.
DavidRees
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#7 Post by DavidRees »

A Marlin underlever in .45ACP. A gunshop in Yorkshire (I think) had 6 available, at £2,500 new, if I recall correctly. Very high price, which I couldn't afford at the time. Always regretted not finding the funds somehow.

Why? I always enjoyed shooting .45ACP, back in the pistol days, and would enjoy loading that calibre again.
Graham M
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#8 Post by Graham M »

Sounds daft but I bought a Lee Enfield .410 conversion, along with the bayonet, off a lad at the club for £100. It didn't chamber ordinary .410 cartridges, but had to use a converted .303 case.
At the time I couldn't be arsed to sort out those cases and sold it to a lad on Pigeonwatch for £400, thinking it was a good deal at the time.
Spent the last 10 years regretting it. :cry:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#9 Post by the running man »

Graham M wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:44 pm Sounds daft but I bought a Lee Enfield .410 conversion, along with the bayonet, off a lad at the club for £100. It didn't chamber ordinary .410 cartridges, but had to use a converted .303 case.
At the time I couldn't be arsed to sort out those cases and sold it to a lad on Pigeonwatch for £400, thinking it was a good deal at the time.
Spent the last 10 years regretting it. :cry:
If only we knew! I can remember those smle's .410 converts,I saw them for as little as £40 once upon a time,now they are what £400-900 I've seen them for....wish ide have bought 20!
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#10 Post by 20series »

Missed out on a nice Ross .303 many moons ago was going to buy it and then the car went tech, needing the cash for that sadly.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP