Forum

Noteworthy forum events and somewhere to post details of shoots and events for your local and national clubs. PLEASE SEE POST ABOUT GDPR.

Moderator: dromia

Graham M

Re: Forum

#21 Post by Graham M »

For anyone wanting to send a little donation fullboreuk@gmail.com PayPal address
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Christel
Site Admin

#22 Post by Christel »

Graham M, thank you.

Please refrain from donating until we know if the forum is here to stay or not. If not then I will of course refund you.
I am sending emails out now.
Christel
Site Admin

#23 Post by Christel »

Just realised, our mass email does not work, so I have sent a PM instead.
dirtbag

#24 Post by dirtbag »

I would be sorry to see the forum go, but have fallen guilty myself of not posting as much as I used to (sorry)
Completely respect whichever decision is made.

Is it possible to share the required a target of funds required that needs to be raised to keep the forum going, perhaps this may help ?
Sandgroper

#25 Post by Sandgroper »

I've been with FB from the beginning, learnt a lot and been put right(!) more often than not, but most importantly met some great people (virtually and in persom) whom I consider friends however, everything runs it's natural course.

While I'd to see FB survive and will continue to donate to keep it going I don't feel that it's viable for any longer than another year at most. Partly, because of members like me, who no longer post a lot because my shooting and circumstances have changed, partly because shooting is on the wane in the UK and partly for new (younger) shooters, forum's like this are not their perferred method of getting information. Another possible issue is that FB is somewhat a victim of it's own success in keeping it well moderated - other forums are probably more tolerant of certain behaviours because it generates conflict and people enjoy conflict so people join to join in...this is just an observation not a suggestion!

So, while I'd like FB to continue, I think it has or is coming to it's end. 14 years is a great run for a niche forum with a small membership and no advertising. Hats off to Christel, David, Adam and all the members, it's been fantastic but if FB was a patient and you guys and girls, the family, I'd would say that it's time to let them go...
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#26 Post by Mauserbill »

Sandgroper wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:04 pm I've been with FB from the beginning, learnt a lot and been put right(!) more often than not, but most importantly met some great people (virtually and in persom) whom I consider friends however, everything runs it's natural course.

While I'd to see FB survive and will continue to donate to keep it going I don't feel that it's viable for any longer than another year at most. Partly, because of members like me, who no longer post a lot because my shooting and circumstances have changed, partly because shooting is on the wane in the UK and partly for new (younger) shooters, forum's like this are not their perferred method of getting information. Another possible issue is that FB is somewhat a victim of it's own success in keeping it well moderated - other forums are probably more tolerant of certain behaviours because it generates conflict and people enjoy conflict so people join to join in...this is just an observation not a suggestion!

So, while I'd like FB to continue, I think it has or is coming to it's end. 14 years is a great run for a niche forum with a small membership and no advertising. Hats off to Christel, David, Adam and all the members, it's been fantastic but if FB was a patient and you guys and girls, the family, I'd would say that it's time to let them go...
Hello
And thankyou for your comments "There is nothing like being positive"
bobbob

#27 Post by bobbob »

I remember when the forum started and joined early on. It was great chatting to new people and even meeting some of you at Bisley.
Our shooting interests have changed, our rifle club is pretty inactive due to the local council messing it about. Health and other issues get in the way.
It is sad that the forum is under threat but nothing lasts forever.
As others have said. Even though I don't visit or contribute often, if it is decided to carry on, I'll chip in. If it is to close, can we have an online party to say farewell? lollol :cry:
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#28 Post by TattooedGun »

Apologies, I always seem to miss the supporting deadlines as they're generally hidden away in parts of the forum I don't automatically check.
I've been lurking longer than I can remember now, with only the occasional post.
Most of my browsing and posting goes into posts on Facebook. I do however feel like with the crack down on firearms related groups and posts on Facebook, there may be a resurgence on the forums in the coming years as people can talk freely, and more importantly, post sales of restricted items without fear of being cut off from communicating with friends and family.

Understandable that being out of country and out of the industry that you won't or can't spend as much time as you once did.

If you ever decide to give in and move on, I'd be happy to look at taking on the technical side of the site to keep the site running.
Sandgroper

#29 Post by Sandgroper »

Mauserbill,
I assumed that this wasn't supposed to be an echo chamber where all we post is what we want to hear. So I'm not sorry that you didn't feel that my post was positive enough. Christel asked for our views and I gave mine and sincerely hope that I am proved wrong.

For the record I was the 4th person to join FB UK in 2010 and have been a Site Supporter since 2015 when Christel first asked for support and I will continue to support FB UK for as long as it's required.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
ukrifleman

#30 Post by ukrifleman »

I also would be sad to see it go.
I would agree that British shooting and gun ownership is in decline, brought about mainly by successive government anti-gun legislation and the apathy of shooting organisations.
It's been very evident of late that there are far more posts on the `for sale` forum than the `want to buy` forum, which is a good indicator of how the shooting community is in decline.
I echo the thanks for all the hard work carried out behind the scenes by Adam, Christel and David.
All I can suggest is, that an appeal for pledges for funds is broadcast to the membership,
stating the amount needed to remain afloat.