Inertial bullet puller easy hack

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Inertial bullet puller easy hack

#1 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello

Has anybody else found this hack that I have been using now for a number of years.
Discard those silly little alloy collets with the rubber bands that fall apart.

"Use a standard shell holder as shown in the picture, simply insert bullet into shell holder, then insert bullet into the puller and then screw on the cap , and hey presto no more problems." works on all sizes that use a shell holder.
Attachments
P1020990.JPG
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Inertial bullet puller easy hack

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

thats the only way I do it. I don't even know where my collet things are
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Vossie
Home club or Range: Bisley

#3 Post by Vossie »

:good:
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

#4 Post by glevum »

Using a shell holder instead of the collets is not a good idea.

There have been some accidents where the primers have ignited.

If you have a protruding primer it is possible for the shell holder to ignite the primer if the case becomes offset in the shell holder.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#5 Post by bradaz11 »

how can it become offset, the puller stops it moving.
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

#6 Post by glevum »

The shell holder can become offset relative to the case. the case is held in the puller but there is room where the collet fits for the shell holder to move.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#7 Post by ukrifleman »

I avoid using an inertia bullet wherever possible, due to a bad experience when I had a 7.5x54 Berdan primed round go off in the puller.
Not a happy experience!
My puller of choice is a `Grip N Pull`, it does a good job and if used correctly, bullets can be reused and the powder stays in the case which is a bonus.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

glevum wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:09 pm The shell holder can become offset relative to the case. the case is held in the puller but there is room where the collet fits for the shell holder to move.
i can only speak for my hammer, but when you do up the nut, the opening in it sits around the boss that the press uses to grip the shell holder.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#9 Post by Mauserbill »

bradaz11 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:35 am
glevum wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:09 pm The shell holder can become offset relative to the case. the case is held in the puller but there is room where the collet fits for the shell holder to move.
i can only speak for my hammer, but when you do up the nut, the opening in it sits around the boss that the press uses to grip the shell holder.
Hello
AGREE The bullet is held central in the tube and the shell holder is held central and tight in the cap, and there is a large hole in the shell holder to stop the primer impinging on it, also the question regarding raised primers, when inserting primers using a standard shell holder if they are raised and not seated you cannot remove the case from the holder ! until it is at the correct depth.