cheaper safes

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

nickredhill
Home club or Range: Reigate Miniature Rifle & Pistol Club

Re: cheaper safes

#21 Post by nickredhill »

bradaz11 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:45 pm take all the nuts off. then using 2 of the nuts, screw them both onto one stud, stop as soon as 2nd nut is on fully. holding 2nd nut, undo 1st one so it tightens onto the 2nd, tightly. then use a ratchet to wind the stud out of the glue, using the 2nd nut. if it comes undone, do it up again, but tighter. once its out, crack the nuts apart again, and move onto the next stud.
thanks, that's useful 👍
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: cheaper safes

#22 Post by Pippin89 »

nickredhill wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:19 am I thought I'd share my story so others can avoid the same misstep.
I bought a second hand safe for £50 at the time that I submitted my FAC application. I thought this small 3 gun safe would do the job. I diligently fixed it to the wall with threaded rod and chemical bond, so that monkey isn't going anywhere!
Nine months later with new FAC and SGC in hand, I now have a scoped rifle and a 12 bore and there's not much space left. The scope takes up a lot of space so if I want to put a third gun in there I'm going to have to put the 12 bore in with barrels separate from the stock, if it fits at all.
So, lesson learned is that a scope takes up one gun slot in a cabinet. In hindsight I should have got a 5 gun cabinet. I doubt I can reasonably remove my current safe from the wall so I'll have to add a second safe when I want to add a full-bore rifle and scope.
I fixed my safe to the wall in the same way so I can tell you how I got it off when I moved house recently. I took the nuts off and levered the safe off (if those studs are even slightly off square that part is fun on its own...) and then I used a hammer to bend over the exposed part of the stud. Once it was bent over, I had a lever to unscrew it which I did with a combination of a monkey wrench and just beating it round with a hammer. Got them all out eventually. The other option I considered was cutting them off flush with an angle grinder and filling over the top but luckily avoided that for the most part.
Safe to say, in my new house I just went with some heavy duty rawlplugs and its more than adequate.