NRA Response to Lead Restrictions Proposal and latest Consultation - action by 10 December

A section for news and announcements only.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

NRA Response to Lead Restrictions Proposal and latest Consultation - action by 10 December

#1 Post by IainWR »

https://nra.org.uk/update-uk-reach-publ ... mmunition/

The latest output from the government agencies includes a derogation that permits continued use of lead ammo on ranges subject to certain conditions about lead recovery. It also includes an exemption for indoor ranges, on the grounds that they are subject to existing legislation on control of lead and all lead is captured within the range. Perhaps the most significant element in the NRA response is the NRA proposed amendment to the generic exemption in the the proposed restriction that would make the overarching exemption for military use applicable to civilians on military ranges. The NRA proposal isn't phrased as explicitly as that, but that's the effect if it is accepted.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: NRA Response to Lead Restrictions Proposal and latest Consultation - action by 10 December

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

Doesn't the NRA run a practical shotgun program (with they call 'target shotgun', despite target shotgun being a complete other discipline wtf ), The 'proposal' by the NRA would destroy that as it stands, great work(!) troutslapping

Steel shot is NOT a viable alternative for PSG and none of the other alternatives are economically viable.
DVC
nickredhill
Home club or Range: Reigate Miniature Rifle & Pistol Club

Re: NRA Response to Lead Restrictions Proposal and latest Consultation - action by 10 December

#3 Post by nickredhill »

I expect people have already responded to the consultation, but I just got this from the CPSA which would allow for contributions under target shooting and also the general comments on the use of lead for target and practical shooting
https://consultations.hse.gov.uk/crd-re ... 019028924/
IainWR

#4 Post by IainWR »

Blackstuff wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:37 am Doesn't the NRA run a practical shotgun program (with they call 'target shotgun', despite target shotgun being a complete other discipline wtf ), The 'proposal' by the NRA would destroy that as it stands, great work(!) troutslapping

Steel shot is NOT a viable alternative for PSG and none of the other alternatives are economically viable.
The NRA has a shooting discipline called Target Shotgun. If there's another discipline with the same name please let me know.
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#5 Post by poll007 »

Blackstuff wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:37 am Doesn't the NRA run a practical shotgun program (with they call 'target shotgun', despite target shotgun being a complete other discipline wtf ), The 'proposal' by the NRA would destroy that as it stands, great work(!) troutslapping

The NRA use "Target shotgun" as an overarching term for essentially all shooting of targets with shotguns that aren't covered by CPSA (ie clay shooting).
"Practical shotgun" is then seen as a sub section of "Target shotgun"
so for the NRA "Target shotgun" covers both gallery style comps like a TP1 but also covers moving and shooting steels which many call "Practical shotgun"

Or at least this is how it was explained to me by the staff and instructors.
IainWR

#6 Post by IainWR »

poll007 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:17 pm

The NRA use "Target shotgun" as an overarching term for essentially all shooting of targets with shotguns that aren't covered by CPSA (ie clay shooting).
so for the NRA "Target shotgun" covers both gallery style comps like a TP1 but also covers moving and shooting steels which many call "Practical shotgun"

Yes, I know that explanation; it corresponds to the opening text of Vol 5 NRA Handbook and I'm the editor of that document. Blackstuff's post suggests to me that there is a discipline somewhere using the title "Target Shotgun" that is run by another organisation and means something different from the definition in the NRA Target Shotgun Handbook. If, in approving it (the definition, not the Handbook), I have stepped on somebody's toes, I'd like to know so as to ensure the two can be differentiated.
Blackstuff

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

IainWR wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:01 pm

The NRA has a shooting discipline called Target Shotgun. If there's another discipline with the same name please let me know.
'Slightly' missing the point of the post, which, to make clear is; the NRA are seemingly endorsing the notion that steel shot is a viable alternative for several disciplines that it hosts when it patently is not.
DVC
Blackstuff

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

IainWR wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:47 pm
poll007 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:17 pm

Yes, I know that explanation; it corresponds to the opening text of Vol 5 NRA Handbook and I'm the editor of that document. Blackstuff's post suggests to me that there is a discipline somewhere using the title "Target Shotgun" that is run by another organisation and means something different from the definition in the NRA Target Shotgun Handbook. If, in approving it (the definition, not the Handbook), I have stepped on somebody's toes, I'd like to know so as to ensure the two can be differentiated.
The National Target Shotgun Association covers the events outlined by poll007 which are not PSG. The nomenclature 'target shotgun' was intentionally used by Messers Harris and Grannymore due to the childish schism when 4Islands was formed, which later became the NRA shotgun league/section. But that is all irrelevant to this thread.
DVC