22LR semis..

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

22LR semis..

#1 Post by Pete »

I happened to be in Evans shop on Bisley camp today, and they had 4 s/h AR lookalike.22 semis for sale.
They were all mint, and one of them, a GSG 522 std, was £375.......is this a good price for one of these?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: 22LR semis..

#2 Post by Les »

That's pretty much the going rate, Pete. There's quite a few on Guntrader at around the same price or less.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

if you are in market for that type of rifle go for a Smith Wesson MP15-22, you'll not regret it. Keep your eye out they often pop up in the same price bracket or a few quid more but you won't regret it. A far more reliable platform that straps down like a proper AR to clean which is vital with any .22 semi. I had one of the Walther/Colt M4s it was fine for a bit but became a PITA because you couldn't clean it fully.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Pete
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Pete »

The other three were a S&W MP15/22, a CSG 522 carbine, and an H&K.
I'm not looking for anything like that, just idly curious. The condition surprised me, they appeared as new.

Pete
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

I would vote for a Tippmann. They are all metal instead of plastic like most of them are. Several 15/22's in my club and they are all fine. But the one Tippmann that is there is always the one I find myself wanting. They cost a bit more though...
BamBam

#6 Post by BamBam »

The MP-5 clones from GSG are not very highly rated. They're cheap 2nd hand for a reason.
The Umarex/Walther version is the one to go for.
They're not in production so the new old stock that is still old there is north of a grand.

Tippman might be metal, but it's a very cheap casting and why are we paying close to to a grand for a rifle that costs less than $400 to the trade in the USA?

2nd hand 15-22 is the best entry to the AR .22 market, the gateway AR plinker.
I've had 2 of them standard barrel and 12" barrel.
Would still have the 12" version were it not for the LA-SF15 Compact.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#7 Post by Dellboy »

just cleared some stuff and there was a as new 15 22
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Pete
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Pete »

I tried shooting a self loading 22LR at steel plates during one of the Bisley open days, back in the noughties.
The novelty wore off in about 15 minutes....

Pete
JammyGuns

#9 Post by JammyGuns »

I happen to be in the market for one myself. What puts me off the Tippmann and Kriss is the price - not saying you can't find cheaper but on guntrader at least a new one will put you back a grand... Not a million miles off a Lantac and really the same sort of money as an NWCP or something like a used CMMG. For that sort of money I rather have the latter personally. There's no question about it being milspec and you can even slap on a straight pull .223 upper etc at a later date if you so desire (the only added thing I'd definitely get is the catch22). That said of the .22 AR clones I would otherwise go for the 15/22.